A Book entitled “The Shell”

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
Delta Tank

A Book entitled “The Shell”

Post by Delta Tank » 09 Jun 2020 01:42

To all,

I need some help! Many years ago I read a book and the title was something like “The Shell”. It was about a British cruiser in the Mediterranean that fired a shell that hit an Italian Flagship that convinced the Fleet Admiral of the Italian Fleet to retire. The book covered all the actions that had to occur to deliver that shell on the Italian Flagship.

So, what was the title of that book and the author?

All from memory, I may have some facts wrong!

Thanks for your help in advance!!

Mike

Urmel

Re: A Book entitled “The Shell”

Post by Urmel » 09 Jun 2020 23:16

The ship was the battleship Warspite. Engagement was battle of Punto Stilo on 9 July 1940. Hit was by a 15” on battleship Giulio Cesare. Maybe that helps.
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Jack Nisley

Post by Jack Nisley » 10 Jun 2020 02:28

The book is "The Ship" by C. S. Forester (of Hornblower fame). It is fiction loosely based on HMS Penelope and the Second Battle of Sirte, March 22, 1942.

Jack Nisley

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 15 Jun 2020 17:09

Jack Nisley wrote:
10 Jun 2020 02:28
The book is "The Ship" by C. S. Forester (of Hornblower fame). It is fiction loosely based on HMS Penelope and the Second Battle of Sirte, March 22, 1942.

Jack Nisley
Thank you very much!

Mike

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”