Books about Dutch Waffen-SS veterans?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
PatrickBateman

Books about Dutch Waffen-SS veterans?

Post by PatrickBateman » 24 Jun 2020, 16:09

Any suggestions on books about the personal stories of Dutch SS veterans? I read a good one a while ago, "Wking. A Dutch SS-er on the Eastern front" by Henk Kistemaker.

Thanks.

Larso

Re: Books about Dutch Waffen-SS veterans?

Post by Larso » 29 Jun 2020, 13:00

There is also 'In the Fire of the Eastern Front' by Hendrik C. Verton. He saw some interesting combat but he's obnoxious in the one-eyed way he remembers the war. I've got a fairly lengthy review in my German WW2 memoirs thread.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 30 Jun 2020, 11:49

Larso wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 13:00
There is also 'In the Fire of the Eastern Front' by Hendrik C. Verton. He saw some interesting combat but he's obnoxious in the one-eyed way he remembers the war. I've got a fairly lengthy review in my German WW2 memoirs thread.
Thanks Larso, I have totally overlooked this book, probably because the title is in English instead of Dutch. I will see where I can buy it.

I have read your review, and I understand your problem with it. But I think you should understand you look and read it through the eyes of someone who was really convinced how the 'truth' was in his mind, and luckily we have today enough facts and evidents of the real truth. So I wouldn't worry about that. At least, I don't.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 01 Jul 2020, 13:32

This is not focused on story of an veteran but "The 23rd Waffen-SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Nederland: An Illustrated History" by Massimiliano Afiero looks really interesting. Does anyone own it and tell me if it is worth the circa 40 euros?

At least the hardcover and page design looks really good, clean and modern.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”