New Hugh Page Taylor book

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
pim

Re: New Hugh Page Taylor book

Post by pim » 02 Mar 2021, 11:02

Thanks for the update Hugh. This is one book I am very much looking forward to. All the best.
Peter.

Fennicus

Post by Fennicus » 02 Mar 2021, 15:23

hpt wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 09:58
Any advice from those kind enough to read this would be greatly appreciated: for example, what would be preferred?

- hardback or paperback
- to order copies printed here in Australia or made available by P.O.D.?
Hugh,

This will definitely be a book to enjoy and get back to many times so it should in my opinion be a hardback. Even though sending it to Europe or anywhere else outside Australia may be costly, I still would prefer to have my copy properly printed and bound. The quality of POD is rather good nowadays, but with the number of photographs (maybe even some in colour?) I expect to see in FG, POD could be risky, not to mention getting it well bound.

Looking forward to your book!

-Markus

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 02 Mar 2021, 16:40

Hugh:

Can't wait for this book!! The anticipation is growing. I agree with Markus -- hardcover is the way to go. I know the shipping costs will be expensive but would rather have it nicely bound. This will, in my opinion be the book of the year.

Best regards,

Mark

Plaker

Post by Plaker » 03 Mar 2021, 09:33

Hugh,
I agree with the others: A hardcover is the way to go.
Looking very much forward to have the book.

Br,
Pål

NicoH

Post by NicoH » 07 Mar 2021, 19:11

Hugh

I know the book will be of the quality we have come to expect from you.
Hope you may long continue to publish such nice works.

Best regards
Nico

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 15 Jul 2021, 14:53

Hugh:

Any status on the book? Looking forward with great anticipation for its release. Thanks.

Mark Costa

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 16 Jul 2021, 01:23

Hugh tells me that the book - now greatly expanded from where it was last spring - is going to press today, and he hopes to have (at least) some limited edition copies available in August. The regular edition should be available early this fall, I'm guessing.

Hugh was able to get some amazing information from his sources in Norway this spring, which resulted in a lot of rework on his part. But the finished product should be an absolute must.

Here's the current (but not necessarily final) version of the cover. The book also has some very useful color map endpapers.

I'm still not sure how this will be distributed or made available to those interested. Once Hugh gets the books in hand I'm sure that will be quickly resolved. I'll post any updates as I get them...

FØregarden Quisling’s bodyguard_cover_revised (1).jpg

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 16 Jul 2021, 03:28

jeffhan373 wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 01:23
Hugh tells me that the book - now greatly expanded from where it was last spring - is going to press today, and he hopes to have (at least) some limited edition copies available in August. The regular edition should be available early this fall, I'm guessing.

Hugh was able to get some amazing information from his sources in Norway this spring, which resulted in a lot of rework on his part. But the finished product should be an absolute must.

Here's the current (but not necessarily final) version of the cover. The book also has some very useful color map endpapers.

I'm still not sure how this will be distributed or made available to those interested. Once Hugh gets the books in hand I'm sure that will be quickly resolved. I'll post any updates as I get them...

FØregarden Quisling’s bodyguard_cover_revised (1).jpg
Many Thanks Jeff:

Hugh and I were in touch back in the early spring and he was gathering new info on uniform tabs at that time and some photos I had. I am really looking forward to getting this one.

Regards,

Mark

hpt

Post by hpt » 16 Jul 2021, 05:03

Thanks to Jeff and Mark. The end is in sight! Never before have I worked so hard, spent so much time and effort on a project - and best of all has been the wonderful help and support from so many friends and contacts from around the world. The size is larger than the "Bender books" I had the pleasure of creating since 1969 with my dear and sadly departed friend Roger and a different format has been adopted. A wonderful, talented and highly professional team I have had the good fortune to assemble and work with down here in Melbourne, Australia (now under another lockdown) has worked wonders and overcome so many problems: 547 pages with lots of b/w and colour photographs throughout, maps, insignia charts, flags, documents, weapons, history, chiefs and key officers and NCOs, recruitment, organisation, pay and allowances, assessment and comparison with Hitler's, Mussolini's and other collaborationist leaders' bodyguards, and 65 pages on uniforms and insignia. Phew: hard to believe it's almost complete. And next ... a greatly enlarged and revised history of the political Germanic SS in Scandinavia and the Low Countries.

Fennicus

Post by Fennicus » 16 Jul 2021, 08:14

hpt wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 05:03
Thanks to Jeff and Mark. The end is in sight! Never before have I worked so hard, spent so much time and effort on a project - and best of all has been the wonderful help and support from so many friends and contacts from around the world. The size is larger than the "Bender books" I had the pleasure of creating since 1969 with my dear and sadly departed friend Roger and a different format has been adopted. A wonderful, talented and highly professional team I have had the good fortune to assemble and work with down here in Melbourne, Australia (now under another lockdown) has worked wonders and overcome so many problems: 547 pages with lots of b/w and colour photographs throughout, maps, insignia charts, flags, documents, weapons, history, chiefs and key officers and NCOs, recruitment, organisation, pay and allowances, assessment and comparison with Hitler's, Mussolini's and other collaborationist leaders' bodyguards, and 65 pages on uniforms and insignia. Phew: hard to believe it's almost complete. And next ... a greatly enlarged and revised history of the political Germanic SS in Scandinavia and the Low Countries.
Hugh, This is great news indeed! We who have been looking forward to this book will happily wait a bit longer, knowing that we will get much more thn we ever hoped for.

I, at least, am also very excited about the news that you are working on a revised edition of the Germanische-SS book (still the only book on this fascinating subject). Good luck with this project as well!

-Markus

Erich2019

Post by Erich2019 » 16 Jul 2021, 15:03

I am super excited because nothing has really been published on the subject since “Foreign Legions of the Third Reich”! Not to mention we are in badly need of an updated version!

Erich

NicoH

Post by NicoH » 16 Jul 2021, 15:55

Hugh wrote
And next ... a greatly enlarged and revised history of the political Germanic SS in Scandinavia and the Low Countries.
That is truly great news. Can not wait for this book1

Regards
Nico

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 16 Jul 2021, 17:19

Hugh:

Many thanks. This is great news. Very exciting as so many others have stated above. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

best regards,

Mark Costa

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 03 Sep 2021, 00:27

Hugh's book has now been published. A flyer concerning it will be available at the upcoming MAX Show. My copy hasn't reached me yet, but I look forward to it, and expect it to be of a very high standard indeed.

Here's Hugh's description: Hard-cover, with 564 glossy pages, over 1,000 illustrations, over 250 of these in color. Especially for collectors, 72 pages with over 175 images are devoted to uniforms, insignia and flags – and 30 pages describing documents with 50 illustrations. The 1st edition copies are numbered and signed.

The luxury edition has virtually sold out already, but no fear, Hugh expects another 100 copies to reach him in the next week or so. The book will be selling for $100.00 USD per copy, plus postage. Shipping from Australia is very expensive, and it seems likely that Hugh will soon line up an American distributor in an effort to get the shipping costs down.

I would strongly advise that if this is of interest you should either send Hugh a Private Message on AHF, or contact him directly at [email protected]. Once this is sold out - which will happen quickly, I think - it will probably only be obtainable on book sites who charge extremely high prices. This is a book which will be well worth getting, don't miss out!

pim

Post by pim » 03 Sep 2021, 00:58

I received this book over a week ago and I really couldn't put it down. It is an excellent and thorough piece of research of a subject rarely touched upon. It relates the story of a unit charged with the personal protection of the Norwegian collaborator Quisling. The study of the subject matter is merticulous and includes much information of the German occupation of Norway and Norway's overall collaboration and resistance.
It is genuinely a must have book for anyone interested in the Second World War and Axis history in particular. A quality production in every way from content to presentation. And what a relief to have a book that uses footnotes instead of bloody endnotes.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”