Gauleiter, Volume 3

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
VanillaNuns

Re: [Updated] "Gauleiter, Volume 3" - Now in stock

Post by VanillaNuns » 20 Jun 2021, 12:42

Hi Mike. Congratulations on your new book.

Please check your PM folder and feel free to publish my message to you if you deem it relevant as I'm sure many others will be wondering the same thing about the previous volumes.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 26 Jun 2021, 18:37

I appreciate the patience of those who haven't received their copy yet. 

While I miss my friend Roger- a friend to so many of us and to the research/collecting communities as a whole- and wish we were still able to make books together, there are some truly positive things about working with Fonthill.  Limitations on page and photo count do not seem to exist anymore.  As a small operation, Bender Publishing had to consider shipping costs and that meant keeping the number of pages low.  I had to slash a lot of text and sacrifice a lot of photos I'd have much preferred to include.  With Fonthill, every word of text and every photo I submitted appear in Gauleiter, Volume 3.  

Although my primary focus is now the massively expanded and improved Leaders of the Storm Troops, Volume 1, I have decided I will definitely seek to have the first two volumes of Gauleiter published by Fonthill.  This will serve two primary purposes:  1) Books that are out of print (Vol. 1) and languishing unsold in a warehouse somewhere (Vol. 2) will become available to those who are understandably not pleased to have only the third volume of a series, and 2) A lot of new information and imagery has come to light since the publication of 1 and 2 (in 2012 and 2017, respectively).

Thanks again to all who have purchased Volume 3, among them major contributors to my work and people who've given me the encouragement necessary to sustain this project.

Best wishes,
~ Mike
​​​​​​​

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 26 Jun 2021, 23:57

Got my copy today. Exciting. I gave up on Amazon (too many delays and went with Book Depository UK - got it in one week!) Spent about 2 hours carefully admiring the photos front to back. Thick book with lots of text and source material for each subject. Looking forward to reading the entries. I’m glad my book is not high gloss paper but regular paper . Pages are easy to flip through. High gloss tends to stick the pages together over time….be careful not to pack high gloss books too tightly on shelves. Terrific book Mike. Well done.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 28 Jun 2021, 00:23

J. Duncan wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 23:57
Got my copy today. Exciting. I gave up on Amazon (too many delays and went with Book Depository UK - got it in one week!) Spent about 2 hours carefully admiring the photos front to back. Thick book with lots of text and source material for each subject. Looking forward to reading the entries. I’m glad my book is not high gloss paper but regular paper . Pages are easy to flip through. High gloss tends to stick the pages together over time….be careful not to pack high gloss books too tightly on shelves. Terrific book Mike. Well done.
Yours is an assessment I take very seriously and value greatly.
Sincerest thanks.

~ Mike

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 29 Jun 2021, 02:14

Most welcome Mike. It’s exciting this new book.
Textually , it’s quite grand. I’ve read from Sauckel to Schirach now. I found the chapter on Scheel very informative. I’m going to commit to reading this through all the way.

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 01 Jul 2021, 07:10

Michael Miller wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 18:37
I appreciate the patience of those who haven't received their copy yet. 

While I miss my friend Roger- a friend to so many of us and to the research/collecting communities as a whole- and wish we were still able to make books together, there are some truly positive things about working with Fonthill.  Limitations on page and photo count do not seem to exist anymore.  As a small operation, Bender Publishing had to consider shipping costs and that meant keeping the number of pages low.  I had to slash a lot of text and sacrifice a lot of photos I'd have much preferred to include.  With Fonthill, every word of text and every photo I submitted appear in Gauleiter, Volume 3.  

Although my primary focus is now the massively expanded and improved Leaders of the Storm Troops, Volume 1, I have decided I will definitely seek to have the first two volumes of Gauleiter published by Fonthill.  This will serve two primary purposes:  1) Books that are out of print (Vol. 1) and languishing unsold in a warehouse somewhere (Vol. 2) will become available to those who are understandably not pleased to have only the third volume of a series, and 2) A lot of new information and imagery has come to light since the publication of 1 and 2 (in 2012 and 2017, respectively).

Thanks again to all who have purchased Volume 3, among them major contributors to my work and people who've given me the encouragement necessary to sustain this project.

Best wishes,
~ Mike
​​​​​​​
Brilliant many thanks. I look forward to purchasing both volumes when they become available.

It's like owning "Return of the Jedi" without having the previous 2 Star Wars movies available for purchase.

May the force be with you... 8-)

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 10 Jul 2021, 00:31

Now available in Kindle format for $22.99 (U.S.).

I've never had a book in Kindle format. I don't know if this is a good thing, but reckon we'll find out.

https://www.amazon.com/Gauleiter-Region ... 1781558264

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 14 Sep 2021, 02:03

Just a gentle reminder that reviews on Amazon are very helpful to authors such as myself (who otherwise receive little or no publicity based on the decidedly narrow audience to which we cater).

The advertisement for Gauleiter 3 appears here: https://www.amazon.com/Gauleiter-Region ... ref=sr_1_1

With many thanks in advance,
~ Mike

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Re: Gauleiter, Volume 3

Post by Michael Miller » 27 Dec 2021, 01:49

Gauleiter, Volume 3 is currently available for the insanely low price of $33.95 at Amazon.

Many thanks to all for purchasing my work, and even GREATER thanks for those who take the time to review it at Amazon and elsewhere.

Best wishes,
~ Mike

encyclo-collaboration

Post by encyclo-collaboration » 16 Jan 2022, 02:22

Its a great news. Is it possible to have the volume 2 at the same price again? :)

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 17 Jan 2022, 16:17

encyclo-collaboration wrote:
16 Jan 2022, 02:22
Its a great news. Is it possible to have the volume 2 at the same price again? :)
Volume 2 was published by Bender which is now out of business. No one knows what happened to their stocks. So what is out there is all there is. Hence the prices for the first two volumes will never come down. Michael was discussing with his new publisher a possible redo of these volumes but if you have a chance to even buy one of the first two volumes grab it.

Mark Costa

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 18 Jan 2022, 00:55

Thanks, Mark.

If it's the last thing I'll do, I'm going to have second editions done of "Gauleiter" 1 and 2.

To speak more candidly than usual, I'm enormously disappointed in the average reader of these books. I know they sell fairly well for such niche publications printed in small batches (although the royalties don't even pay for 1/10 of my annual coffee intake), but only you and a few others ever mention them. The quantity of Amazon reviews for books by myself and Max Williams is simply pathetic. 7 reviews of "Gauleiter 3" since July 2021 and 16 of "Gauleiter 2" since March 2017. Is it really so hard for people to post something like "Book good. Glad I bought book. You should buy book too."? I don't do this to receive mountains of acclaim, and I certainly know I'll never get rich from it, but my old philosophy of "researching and writing is its own reward" is feeling more and more hollow. Don't get me wrong, though- I'm not going to be a total prima donna about it, and I'll keep at it until the day I die.

Sad little rant over.

~ Mike

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 18 Jan 2022, 01:01

Down to $31.28 at Amazon, with free delivery for Amazon Prime members.

~ Mike

Leprechaun

Post by Leprechaun » 18 Jan 2022, 02:34

Michael Miller wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 00:55
Thanks, Mark.

If it's the last thing I'll do, I'm going to have second editions done of "Gauleiter" 1 and 2.

To speak more candidly than usual, I'm enormously disappointed in the average reader of these books. I know they sell fairly well for such niche publications printed in small batches (although the royalties don't even pay for 1/10 of my annual coffee intake), but only you and a few others ever mention them. The quantity of Amazon reviews for books by myself and Max Williams is simply pathetic. 7 reviews of "Gauleiter 3" since July 2021 and 16 of "Gauleiter 2" since March 2017. Is it really so hard for people to post something like "Book good. Glad I bought book. You should buy book too."? I don't do this to receive mountains of acclaim, and I certainly know I'll never get rich from it, but my old philosophy of "researching and writing is its own reward" is feeling more and more hollow. Don't get me wrong, though- I'm not going to be a total prima donna about it, and I'll keep at it until the day I die.

Sad little rant over.

~ Mike
How many are bought by readers as apposed to bulk by suppliers ?
Your complaining about reader reviews but how niche is the market ? Maybe only 6 people have bought said book who knows ?

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 18 Jan 2022, 02:58

I don't have precise figures. However, I am certain that far more than 6 readers have bought the book.

Just a bit of intemperate venting and there's nothing to be done about it. If I want a high volume of reviews, I should write something with a broader scope of interest. And I can't do that as I've set a course to complete several series of biograpical encyclopediae. Sadly most readers are not consumers of this type of material, and those that are-- well, for whatever reason, I guess they're just not very review-prone.

~ Mike

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”