Importance of quotes...

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Importance of quotes...

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 11 May 2002, 19:18

We all expect from books we read that they have quotes, or at least a reference list. This is also expected by serious websites, IMO.

What I would like to ask you is - do we need quotes here? Of course, they can be used to substantiate a certain point, but are they needed to back up the credibility of a certain poster, in case the posts if fairly mainstream. The arguments can be made later on if needed, but is it okay to make a post without backing it upby books?

Remember here, that quotes canbe molested in any way wanted - you can take quotes completely out of contents, and put together lies with material which is very true.
As far as I've been told, Mein Kampf is put together of a number of quotes (including some by Darwin, and other respected persons), put together in a brand new way, and added a bit of Hitlers own mind.

So, how much are quotes neede at the forum?

Christian

Timo

Post by Timo » 11 May 2002, 19:29

Hallo Christian,

I figure with quote you mean that people mention the source of the info they provide, like they do in end notes or footnotes in written sources.

I fully agree with you here. Too often I see people claim things that appear to be an intentional or unintentional lie or half-truth. Sometimes because the poster has to recall certain info from memory, sometimes because he misunderstood or misred the source(s), sometimes because they stick to info that fits the point they want to make.

Just my 2 cents,
Timo

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”