New Book: Rommel's Italian Generals in North Africa, 1941-43

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
JoeW

New Book: Rommel's Italian Generals in North Africa, 1941-43

Post by JoeW » 09 Feb 2021 06:04

Noted collectors and researchers Dr. Libro Di Zinno and Rudy D’Angelo have fulfilled a lifelong dream to provide solid historical information about the Italian generals and commanders of the Italian forces that comprised over half of the axis combat formations facing the Allied forces in the North African Campaign. With excellent review on this Amazon site, the book will be a welcome addition to the library of Italian collectors.
https://www.amazon.com/Rommels-Italian- ... .+Di+Zinno

Steen Ammentorp

Re: New Book: Rommel's Italian Generals in North Africa, 1941-43

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 11 Feb 2021 15:28

Hi,

I would be interested to know whether any members have bought this book and their opinion of it. From the "look inside" function in Amazon I get the impression that the book mostly deals with how other books has misidentified Italian generals on photos. So I am wondering how much biographical materials it contains. I made several searches on years of birth of generals i.x. 1884 for Gervasio Bitossi with no hits, so even though Bitossi as search term gives many hits his year of birth does not.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

DrG

Post by DrG » 11 Feb 2021 17:11

Steen, I have not read this book, but I have not understood your question well. Haven't you got a copy of the "Ruolo degli ufficiali generali del Regio Esercito"? It reports the date of birth of each Italian general at the date of publication. For example, in its edition of 1943 I read that Gervasio Bitossi was born on 2 Oct. 1884. Moreover, his Wikipedia page is quite detailed, but, given the absence of sources, I don't know how much it is reliable: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gervasio_Bitossi.

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 11 Feb 2021 20:07

Hi DrG,

Sorry if I didn't express myself very well. My question is how much biographical informations does the book have on each general? A search with the "look inside" function would suggest that the book doesn't include the generals' year of birth (which I already have from the Ruolo degli ufficiali generali del Regio Esercito), and if the book doesn't even offer the year of birth how much more biographical information does it include. I how this clarifies my question? I am not looking for the years of birth in particular.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

DrG

Post by DrG » 11 Feb 2021 20:13

Thanks for your clarification! I hope JoeW or any other member will be able to provide further details about this book.

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 17 Feb 2021 04:36

As the title of the book indicates, the intention of the authors was to discuss the those Italian generals serving with Rommel in North Africa, propertly identifying them and their discussing their actions in the campaign. Given the length of the book at 172, full life biographies of these officers like those found in the multi-volume German series on SS and Police Generals can not be expected. As indicated, the authors intended to identify and put in proper historical perspective those generals and their accomplishments in the Desert War, 194109143.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 19 Mar 2022 14:11

My review of this book can be found HERE
battaglione Alpini sciatori Monte Cervino (Reenacted)
5th Greek Regiment
9th reggimento bersaglieri

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”