Mussolini's War

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Atlantis88

Mussolini's War

Post by Atlantis88 » 14 Feb 2021, 01:52

Benito Mussolini’s bungling navy, ineffectual army — as cowardly, as it was ill equipped — and air force of antiquated biplanes amounted to no more than a pathetic joke handily dealt with by the Western Allies. That general assumption is contradicted, however, by a closer examination of Fascist Italy’s actual performance during World War Two. Often neglected, recently declassified materials go further to show an entirely different picture of the Duce’s armed forces, their surprising achievements, as well as their human failings.
It shines new light, for example, on Italy’s submarine service, the world’s greatest in terms of tonnage at the time, its boats sinking nearly three-quarters of a million tons of Allied shipping in three years. By late 1941, the Italian navy had fought its way back from crushing defeats to become the dominant power in the Mediterranean Sea.
Contrary to popular belief, Mussolini’s fighter pilots gave as good as they got in the Battle of Britain, and his torpedo-bombers accounted for more than seventy Allied warships and two hundred freighters sunk.
On June 7, 1942, infantry of the Italian X Corps saved Germany’s 15th Brigade near Gazala, in North Africa, from otherwise certain annihilation, winning fulsome praise and gratitude from General Rommel.
That same year, Italian horse-mounted troops on the Eastern Front routed outnumbering Soviet opponents in military history’s last cavalry charge.
These and numerous other disclosures combine to debunk lingering stereotypes of the ineffectual Italian armed forces, their allegedly inept commanders and supreme leader. That dated portrayal is rendered obsolete by this true-to-life account of the men and weapons described for the first time in this new book.
“Those who think they know World War II history will be pleasantly surprised to learn an incredible array of new details about the entire scope of that conflict, and not just as it related to Italy. And I guarantee that ‘Mussolini’s War’ will completely change general, preconceived notions of the that conflict.” — Lt. Col. Forrest Patton, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve (Ret.)
“Mussolini’s War”: Volume 1,”The Triumphant Years”: Soft cover, 277 pgs, 97 original photo & illustrations, $27.00.
Copies available exclusively from ---
https://barnesreview.org/product/mussol ... t-years-2/

Sid Guttridge

Re: Mussolini's War

Post by Sid Guttridge » 14 Feb 2021, 17:29

Hi Guys,

All you need to know about the publisher is contained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Barnes_Review

Cheers,

Sid.

Orwell1984

Post by Orwell1984 » 14 Feb 2021, 23:24

Sid Guttridge wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 17:29
Hi Guys,

All you need to know about the publisher is contained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Barnes_Review

Cheers,

Sid.
And all you need to know about the author here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Collin

I bought the earlier 2009 Helion version of Mussolini's War before I knew any better.

I know what I'd call it and it is definitely not history.

Much better work in English on Italy's World War Two out there.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 15 Feb 2021, 10:13

It gets worse!

Author Frank Joseph started out as Frank Collin and led the American Nazi Party in Chicago in the 1970’s and got known for his Skokie antics where he won a lawsuit dealing with free speech.He spent time in the slammer for pedophilia. He has re-invented himself as “Frank Joseph” , a writer of esoteric books on Atlantis and Native America.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Collin

One book I found of value was a book on the early part of the war : MacGregor Knox “Mussolini Unleashed 1939-1941”

DrG

Post by DrG » 15 Feb 2021, 18:35

I have "Mussolini's War" by the same author, published by Helion in 2009. It is utterly unreliable. Money and time wasted.

DT-SC

Post by DT-SC » 16 Feb 2021, 16:13

Do not confuse with John Gouch Mussolini’s War with is excellent

Nick12

Post by Nick12 » 16 Feb 2021, 17:18

I ve just read this discussion and I need to say one thing : my teachers at school have always told me not to trust Wikipedia as a reliable source. But anyways after your posts I ve used it in order to read the links you posts and honestly this is a source where you always find a lot of useful informations... ^^
“People have an annoying habit of remembering things they shouldn't.”

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”