Yugoslav Fighter Colours 1918-1941 Vol.1 - Ognjan Petrovic, Djordje Nikolic - MMP Books

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
thelastinline

Yugoslav Fighter Colours 1918-1941 Vol.1 - Ognjan Petrovic, Djordje Nikolic - MMP Books

Post by thelastinline » 30 Mar 2021, 20:00

Being mainly interested in aircraft camouflage and markings from the World War II era, I’m always curious about the new additions to the Mushroom/Stratus’ White (Rainbow) Series. That was also the case with the first volume of ‘Yugoslav Fighter Colours 1918-1941’ authored by Ognjan Petrović and Djordje Nikolić, especially as both these names were already known to me: Mr. Petrović had illustrated the truly excellent ‘Messerschmitt Bf 109. The Yugoslav Story’, whilst Mr. Nikolić co-authored valuable publications on the Dornier Do 22 and Rogozarski IK-3. The result of their cooperation is also not disappointing: on 192 pages of Vol.1 we find a plethora of unique information which in most cases is likely available in English for the very first time, accompanied with dozens of photos (in large part of surprisingly good quality) and fairly nicely rendered colour profiles. The aircraft covered in Vol.1 are Nieuport 24 & 27, Spad S.7 & S.13, Albatros D.III Ba.253 (Oef), Phönix D.I & D.II, Aviatik (Berg) D.I, Ansaldo SVA 5, Bristol F.2b Fighter, Dewoitine D.1, D.9 & D.27, Avia BH-33E and Potez 25 A2. In each case we are offered with a short story of the type and its use in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, followed by the description of its camouflage & markings and tables of its basic characteristics. My only complaint would be that the colours are usually specified in a rather general manner, but then it is no surprise that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to determine the exact shades used in that early period of aviation – we can therefore agree with Mr. Petrović’s interpretations presented on the profiles or make own choices on the basis of the textual description. Not to be forgotten are the appendices, which deal with the evolution of markings & insignia in 1918-41 period (illustrated with a number of drawings from the era and several photos), camouflage and colours, unit structures, aviation ranks and abbreviations used. Also included are a reproduction of a pre-war pilot map of the Kingdom and a listing of all fighter aircraft types used there. The latter allows to determine what types will be covered in Vol.2: Hawker Fury & Hurricane, Ikarus IK-2, Rogozarski IK-3, Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3a & Bf 110 C-4, and Potez 630/631. I warmly recommend this book and really look forward to obtaining Vol.2 which, according to the publisher, is being printed right now!

Video preview courtesy of the publisher:
https://youtu.be/KfTK-5g03RU

My sample photos:

Cover of the forthcoming Vol. 2:

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”