U.S. M3/M3A1 “Grease Gun”

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
GGG

U.S. M3/M3A1 “Grease Gun”

Post by GGG » 16 Jul 2021, 14:12

Hello collectors!

If someone is looking for a good book about the U.S. M3 / M3A1 “Grease Gun”, Schiffer Publishing has now published my English language edition and it is now available.

The book tells the complete story of this remarkable weapon, from its development via manufacturing through to its use in combat, with description of accessories, ammunition, experimental and foreign made models. The reader will find many hitherto unknown details, background information and numerous photos.

224 pages with 551 color and b/w photos

Size: 8 1/2" x 11" x 7/8"

ISBN13: 9780764360589

It is available now from Schiffer books (USA), Amazon or other booksellers.

Unfortunately it is NOT available from me, because I’m in Germany and I do not have any books here.

Ian from Forgotten Weapons has done a great book review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFvE7g1cl2w

With best wishes
Michael
Attachments
Heidler_M3-M3A1_Cover.jpg
Heidler_M3-M3A1_Cover.jpg (143.69 KiB) Viewed 2619 times

AlanD

Re: U.S. M3/M3A1 “Grease Gun”

Post by AlanD » 18 Jul 2021, 03:25

I got this book a few months ago and highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in American SMG's.

Regards

Alan David
Sydney

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 19 Jul 2021, 14:42

Thanks Michael,

in the collection of a german friend, there was a "Grease Gun" M3 long ago, but we never fired it... :wink:
We didn't trust the way the MP was made at the time, quite in a contrast to a German MP 38/40.

The best of luck for your book! :milwink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 20 Jul 2021, 22:03

Hans1906 wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 14:42
Thanks Michael,

in the collection of a german friend, there was a "Grease Gun" M3 long ago, but we never fired it... :wink:
We didn't trust the way the MP was made at the time, quite in a contrast to a German MP 38/40.

The best of luck for your book! :milwink:

Hans
It was quite easy to fire due to its low cyclic rate. I found if you squeezed the trigger slowly you could feel the bolt start to jump forwards and by letting off the trigger easily fire single shots (I was able to do the same with the M-60 LMG in marksmanship competition @ III Corps).
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 21 Jul 2021, 13:20

LineDoggie,

the american M3 was found during a bulky waste collection in the early 1970s in the Frankfurt area, probably someone just wanted to get rid of the weapon, as so often back then.

My collector friend's father was the owner of a large garbage collection company back in the day in the Rhein/Main region.
From simple pistols and revolvers, to carbines, assault rifles, and machine guns, almost every conceivable weapon was found in the trash.
That was about 50 years ago, and most of these weapons were already illegal in Germany.

For the workers, those guns were always extra pocket money, or another case of beer, that's how it was back then.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 21 Jul 2021, 15:26

Btw,

a Mauser M712 "Reihenfeuer" pistol was found by a team of workers in the former company, even at that time a very rare handgun.

Mauser M712 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_M712

The finders received extra pay for this rare pistol from my friend's father.
That same evening, our friend handled the pistol in his parents' kitchen, and 10 rounds popped out from the automatic Mauser in a second.

The kitchen at that time full of the family, and several workers, one bullet destroyed the refrigerator, another the china cabinet, a third bullet hit the wall a few centimeters from the head of an employee.

Handguns! :roll:

Hans

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”