Jahrgang 1928 / Vintage 1928

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Hans1906
Banned

Jahrgang 1928 / Vintage 1928

Post by Hans1906 » 19 Nov 2021, 20:06

Now I am 65 years old and a pensioner.
At 66, as a Udo Jürgens hit song says, that's when life begins and that's when you have fun.
In reality, however, at 65 you already have a long life behind you. It doesn't begin anew, but only becomes different. It will be calmer and more contemplative, without the daily compulsion to work, but still not idle; less demanding, but not without content, perhaps a little more burdensome, but still cheerful; so, far from being an end of life, but a life with a whole new content; no longer as hectic as before, but more contemplative, with new friends, new interests, new expectations and new activities; perhaps with a little more experience than a younger person, so wiser, and still curious about every new day.
I had been thinking about writing down my memories for a long time. So far I have not had the time. Now I have it. So I sit in front of my computer and write. Although I have not kept a diary, I am always amazed at how many details of my life I can still remember. It is strange; looking at old pictures, reading letters and documents, and talking to old friends, much that was only vaguely remembered is refreshed and forgotten things return to consciousness.
I don't know if what I put on paper will ever be published, but it is not in vain. It is for self-understanding. Maybe my wife and children will enjoy reading it. Or an old friend will find it amusing.
And so I go into action!
In doing so, I realize: It gives me great pleasure to walk along the paths of memory.
Jahrgang 1928 https://www.jahrgang28.de/b/p/1/
164 pages of memories, whoever needs a translation to the german language, please...

Veteran Herr Werner Krause passed away in the month of August, 2020.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Jahrgang 1928 / Vintage 1928

Post by Hans1906 » 19 Nov 2021, 22:38

I remember our elementary school friend Joachim, his family was from Latvia, his father probably a member of the former Waffen-SS.

Together with many other families, these refugees lived in a settlement on the outskirts of our town, called "Lettensiedlung" at that time.
At that time for us children a taboo place, we should not hang around there.

This exclusion at that time was everywhere, there were people of first and second, and also third class, we children grew up just like that. Anyone who denies this today is lying.

Much I have forgotten over the years, but some impressions return, when I write about it...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Gorque

Post by Gorque » 19 Nov 2021, 23:40

Werner Krause has quite a chin! :)

Thank you Hans for sharing.

A family friend of ours, who also emigrated to the U.S., was also a suspected member of the Waffen SS. You couldn't tell at all by his demeanor. He passed away many, many years ago.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 22 Nov 2021, 22:14

Gorque, thanks for your reply,

The man wrote simply, but always to the point, I really appreciate that kind of writing.
Simply remembering what once was, more is not even necessary, who of us is already able to write like that, with heart and hand.
A simple memoir of life, nothing more.

I also remember former Waffen-SS members, people like you and me, formerly young people, blinded, full of ideology, sent to their death by madmen.
What a waste of life, for nothing, completely senseless.

Take care

It is good that his descendants have preserved his texts, such a thing is unfortunately rare.

Hans

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”