Stalingrad: The Turning Point

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
von thoma

Stalingrad: The Turning Point

Post by von thoma » 24 Jun 2022, 03:22

' Stalingrad: The Turning Point ', by Geoffrey Jukes.

A very old book ( 1972 ), has anyone read it, is it a recommended book ?

Now I have the chance to do it, but I'm not very fond of battle books.
I remember reading from this same collection ' Midway ', years ago, and I ended up with a headache...
Attachments
Ballantine.jpg
Ballantine.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Stalingrad: The Turning Point

Post by Hans1906 » 24 Jun 2022, 17:04

Hi von thoma,

A friend of my grandfather served as a German officer in Stalingrad, in the trenches the man wrote fairy tales for his wife and four children in the German homeland.
There is a small book with his fairy tales, I own a copy from my grandfather's estate.

The father and husband returned to Germany many years later, after years of torment in Russian captivity.

I still have the little book with his fairy tales for his children, what a man writes in war for his wife and children.
Whether I will ever publish these texts remains to be seen, Mr. Block wrote for his beloved wife and children, that's how it was.

A very small book, fewer than 50 copies were printed, for family, relatives and friends.

Stalingrad - Bilder einer erbitterten Schlacht http://www.tonbildfilmarchiv.de/stalingrad/index.htm

Stalingrad is a monstrous pile of shit, that we won't even smell, ever.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 24 Jun 2022, 22:55

Thanks Hans, nice Stalingrad photos, but my German is not good, especially after my denazification...

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 27 Jun 2022, 05:04

Not mentioned here ; viewtopic.php?f=19&t=236716&hilit

Perhaps it is better to read this one that is recommended,
Island of Fire: The Battle for the Barrikady Gun Factory in Stalingrad ( November 1942 - February 1943 ), by Jason D. Mark.
Attachments
Stalingrad Book.jpg
Stalingrad Book.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 967 times

hambubger

Post by hambubger » 27 Jun 2022, 05:11

Hans1906 wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 17:04
Hi von thoma,
I still have the little book with his fairy tales for his children, what a man writes in war for his wife and children.
Whether I will ever publish these texts remains to be seen, Mr. Block wrote for his beloved wife and children, that's how it was.

A very small book, fewer than 50 copies were printed, for family, relatives and friends.
Stalingrad - Bilder einer erbitterten Schlacht http://www.tonbildfilmarchiv.de/stalingrad/index.htm

Stalingrad is a monstrous pile of shit, that we won't even smell, ever.

Hans
Hans... you're hereby officially charged with teasing the Axis History Forum :) Looks like some top-notch photos and info and the site you provided. The fact that the guy wrote fairly tales and other works for his children show how powerful that connection can be when serving in the bloodiest military campaign in history. It'd be awesome to see a snippet of some of his fairy tales, should you decide to do so.
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes." – Mark Twain.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 28 Jun 2022, 10:26

Hi hambubger,

I've mentioned the little book several times, but unfortunately I haven't been able to access my archive in northern Germany since 2013.

I'll be retiring in a few days, so I'll have plenty of time to post these fairy tales here as well, and some scans of the little book...

Promised! :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”