The Best of After the Battle

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
jeffhan373

The Best of After the Battle

Post by jeffhan373 » 27 Jul 2022, 20:50

Has anyone gotten a copy of this? I know they have added color photos, but is there much new information? Or is it just a compilation of existing articles from the magazine? I'm trying to decide if there's enough new stuff in it to justify a purchase.

Thanks.

J. Duncan

Re: The Best of After the Battle

Post by J. Duncan » 20 Aug 2022, 14:51

Marked down on Amazon to 39.00 . I bought a copy and will review once I receive it. Sample pages look nice. It appears to be various selections from all theaters. Looking forward to it.

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 29 Aug 2022, 00:49

I did get this book and am very pleased with it. There are lots of new photos, most in color, and Winston Ramsey has done a great job updating articles and photo captions.

For those (like me) who loved the magazine, this book is a great addition. If you never got into the magazine, this volume should serve as a great introduction/summation of that now much-missed journal.

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 30 Aug 2022, 00:29

My copy arrived today. It is a beautiful book , hardcover, large format and loaded with great photos and interesting tidbits throughout. Very happy I purchased this.
Although much has changed and been altered since the early 1970’s, the work these fellows did is priceless. What dedication they showed in preservation!
One character mentioned frequently who did invaluable work was Jean Paul, from D-Day spots to Wittman’s last battle and beyond to Heydrich’s Prague and 1944 Budapest. In one short section, he recreated the famous photo of the false “Peiper” with the cigar on the way to the Bulge - they found the exact spot it was taken and used a jeep only Jean Paul had to use a cigarette because he couldn’t afford a cigar!
Apart from one little section on return to Iwo Jima, almost all the book is European battles. Sections of note include Skorzeny rescue of Mussolini, Le Paradis massacre (Fritz Knochlein),
Himmler suicide, Nazi Munich martyrs, Eisenhower field HQ, Berlin Bunker.
One can also commend the team of ATB in their profound respect to the dead. One haunting section is the lost crew of a plane downed in the African desert - they found the crew , bleached bones, all except one man.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”