The Third Reich Series - are the books worth buying or not?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
George L Gregory

The Third Reich Series - are the books worth buying or not?

Post by George L Gregory » 31 Jul 2022, 01:00

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Reich_Series

Does anyone own all 21 books?

Should I bother with them or not?

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Re: The Third Reich Series - are the books worth buying or not?

Post by Michael Miller » 31 Jul 2022, 05:03

Bit dated and I guess it depends on how deep you want to dive into this stuff. The photos are generally ones you've already seen. Somewhat superficial but a good intro by ca. 1989 standards. I own about 8 volumes of the series, now sitting in storage along with all of the Time-Life World War II series. They were everything I could've hoped for when I was 12.

~ Mike

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 31 Jul 2022, 17:10

I was 20 when these came out (like Mike I remember being very excited for these) I got one book every other month for about 2 1/2 years. I eventually parted with them for better books. They are good for beginners and those who have a general interest in WWII or Third Reich history.
I still think Time Life’s WWII history series was the best they ever put together - way better than the TR series.
One series I’ve kept over the years is the Ballantines. I bought many of these as a kid from the grocery store magazine section (they were only $1 !) This was 1970’s. This series stimulated my interest in WWII.

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 04 Aug 2022, 10:00

I have read into them, but they are written for the general public on an entry level.

If you'd like to take a look into them, I can send you digital copies from The Reach for Empire and the Conquest of The Balkans .
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”