Honor Dress of the Movement

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
jeffhan373

Honor Dress of the Movement

Post by jeffhan373 » 16 Dec 2022, 20:39

Has anyone gotten a copy of this? I'm tempted, but almost $30.00 for a new paperback is pretty steep. And it's only 192 pp. long.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1625346050/?c ... _lig_dp_it

A cultural history of the brown shirt seems like it might be interesting, but I've gotten quite a few books that looked to be good which...weren't...

J. Duncan

Re: Honor Dress of the Movement

Post by J. Duncan » 17 Dec 2022, 01:19

I have it. It’s basic, layman history written by a assistant college professor who has an interest. It’s cheaply made , cheap paper, not many photos. There’s a bit here and there that’s interesting but mine is pb and I’d probably skip it - I wouldn’t be poorer for knowledge if I’d never gotten it. It tells the history of Rossbach and the Lettow tropical uniforms , how they were worn and how they evolved under Pfeffer and into the later years. It’s all verbally descriptive and without “Bender like” accompanying photos it’s hard to visualize.

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 17 Dec 2022, 02:29

Thanks, John - your insights are always highly valued and appreciated! Based on your review, the only way I'd probably get it is if I should come across a copy at a used bookshop. And even then it would have to be at a really low price....

J. Duncan

Post by J. Duncan » 17 Dec 2022, 03:27

I appreciate all the tips on books you’ve given! The Tucker “Saucer Swastika” book was pretty good- very eclectic topic and author made it very interesting. These were some very weird, eccentric people so I enjoyed the book a lot. I would not have heard of it if you hadn’t posted a response and mentioned it viewtopic.php?f=19&t=267593) His chapter explaining L. von Liebenfel’s “Theozoology” was terrific. You couldn’t understand a nutty book like that without aid and Tucker explains it all very well. I would place that book (Tucker’s) in the entertainment category - it’s a serious work, but it was a “fun” and fascinating read on a weird subculture.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”