What is everyone reading on WW2?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
sarahgoodson

Re: What is everyone reading on WW2?

Post by sarahgoodson » 21 Feb 2016 17:42

Ivan Denisovich wrote:The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard Evans. Next would be Ostkrieg: Hitler's War of Extermination in the East by Stephen Fritz.
Before reading the Fritz book, I would recommend you to read Evans' other two books of his Third Reich trilogy.

Ivan Denisovich

Post by Ivan Denisovich » 22 Feb 2016 09:17

sarahgoodson wrote:
Ivan Denisovich wrote:The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard Evans. Next would be Ostkrieg: Hitler's War of Extermination in the East by Stephen Fritz.
Before reading the Fritz book, I would recommend you to read Evans' other two books of his Third Reich trilogy.
Last part is unavailable in polish for now.

Why should I read Evans first? I already read quite a few books about Reich or Shoah in particular.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

George Santayana.

sarahgoodson

Post by sarahgoodson » 22 Feb 2016 10:29

Ivan Denisovich wrote:Last part is unavailable in polish for now.

Why should I read Evans first? I already read quite a few books about Reich or Shoah in particular.
I assumed you were reading it in English since you had posted the title in English, nvm.

You don't have to but the trilogy was a good read for me. I've also read the Fritz book and I'm sure you'll enjoy that as well. :D

Ivan Denisovich

Post by Ivan Denisovich » 22 Feb 2016 11:09

sarahgoodson wrote: I assumed you were reading it in English since you had posted the title in English, nvm.
When I'm posting on foreign language forums I use English titles. Though this was reasonable assumption.
sarahgoodson wrote:You don't have to but the trilogy was a good read for me. I've also read the Fritz book and I'm sure you'll enjoy that as well. :D
I thought it may contain something necessary to understand Fritz book.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

George Santayana.

stolypin

Post by stolypin » 09 Mar 2016 21:42

Just finished Douglas Nash's outstanding work on Korsun, "Hell's Gate".

4thskorpion

Post by 4thskorpion » 10 Mar 2016 12:14

For something a little different, I have just finished reading "Death in Breslau" by Marek Krajewski.

Translated from the original Polish by Danusia Stok I can highly recommend this taught, highly original and atmospheric crime novel set in "seedy" Breslau 1933. Krajewski's main character, Inspector Eberhard Mock, deserves a crime drama TV series!
Publishers blurb:

Occupied Breslau, 1933: Two young women are found murdered on a train, scorpions writhing on their bodies, an indecipherable note in an apparently oriental language nearby ...Police Inspector Eberhard Mock's weekly assignation with two ladies of the night is interrupted as he is called to investigate.

But uncovering the truth is no straightforward matter in Breslau. The city is in the grip of the Gestapo, and has become a place where spies are everywhere, corrupt ministers torture confessions from Jewish merchants, and Freemasons guard their secrets with blackmail and violence.

And as Mock and his young assistant Herbert Anwaldt plunge into the city's squalid underbelly the case takes on a dark twist of the occult when the mysterious note seems to indicate a ritual killing with roots in the Crusades ...

JeroenPollentier

Post by JeroenPollentier » 11 Mar 2016 13:30

I received two book tokens as a present last week, and with it I bought "The German War: A nation under Arms, 1939-1945" by Nicholas Stargardt and "Adolf Hitler (Pt. 1)", the bio by Volker Ullrich (in German).

I bought the Ullrich bio, because it was the only book available in the store that was in German, and because I am interested in the period and the topic, of course. Still, if it wasn't for the book token I wouldn't have bought this bio. After all, what's the point of yet another AH bio, after Toland's, Fest's, Kershaw's...? But I'll read it and let you know what sets it apart from the earlier biographies :)

by the way, has Kershaw's new book (to hell and back) still not been translated into German?

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 08 Apr 2016 21:48

Just finished reading this book-

Hitler's Deserters: When Law Merged with Terror by Lars G. Petersson.

Quite a interesting read on the subject of the soldiers who deserted the armed forces during the Third Reich era. Those who survived were not cleared until almost 60 years after the end of WW2.

yellow14

Post by yellow14 » 19 Apr 2016 20:13

Just finished Black Earth by Timothy Snyder and felt it was an outstanding work. Also read The German War by Nicholas Stargardt, an easier read and not quite a dense as Snyder's work. Also outstanding. High recommend both.

Hessler86

Post by Hessler86 » 14 Jun 2016 19:33

Currently re-reading The End: Hitler's Germany 1944–45 by Sir Ian Kershaw. One only needs a dramatical Wagner music piece on the background for the perfect eerie, gloomy, tragic mood of the book. Highly recommended!
"Merken Sie sich eins; bei uns zu Haus' sind nur die Mannschaften Ostmärker.
Die Herren Offiziere sind Österreicher! Servus Doktorchen!"

DarrenMarshall

Post by DarrenMarshall » 09 Jul 2016 20:44

Currently reading The soviets as naval opponents. There are very few books on this story, highly recommended!

Toivo

Post by Toivo » 13 Jul 2016 17:57

Soviet Military Operational Art by David M. Glantz (wish there were more books to be found on the subject) and freshly received from Moscow - book on several russian tank units (Жаркой Ф. М. Танковый марш).

Imad

Post by Imad » 05 Aug 2016 15:25

Destiny in the Desert by Jonathan Dimbleby

This is one of the best books I've read so far on the Desert War. Balanced, meticulously researched, and very well written.

Imad

Post by Imad » 05 Aug 2016 15:26

The Conquering Tide by Ian Toll

Imad

Post by Imad » 05 Aug 2016 15:27

The Guns at Last Light by Rick Atkinson

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”