What is everyone reading on WW2?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
Imad

Re: What is everyone reading on WW2?

Post by Imad » 05 Aug 2016 15:28

Ardennes 1944 - The Battle of the Bulge by Antony Beevor

JeroenPollentier

Post by JeroenPollentier » 20 Sep 2016 18:53

JeroenPollentier wrote:by the way, has Kershaw's new book (to hell and back) still not been translated into German?
Apparently it has now:
Ian Kershaw. Höllensturz. Europa 1914-1949. Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, München 2016, ISBN 978-3-421-04722-9

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 20 Sep 2016 21:44

Doughty, R. A. (2014) [1990]. The Breaking Point: Sedan and the Fall of France, 1940. Stackpole Military History (Stackpole, Mechanicsburg, PA ed.). Hamden, CN: Archon Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-1459-4

JeroenPollentier

Post by JeroenPollentier » 01 Nov 2016 16:17

While visiting my old college town again, I came across this litte gem in a second-hand bookshop:

Apart from that, I recently bought Kershaw's "To Hell and Back" and Clark's "Sleepwalkers" (although the latter is about the First rather than the Second World War, of course).

Tolga Alkan
Financial supporter

Post by Tolga Alkan » 08 Dec 2016 11:27

Danny S. Parker's Peiper biography - a fine book by the expert author on the Ardennes campaign.

JeroenPollentier

Post by JeroenPollentier » 31 Dec 2016 12:09

I'm reading the first volume of Volker Ullrichs Hitler biography. I got it as a present and it stayed in its plastic wrap for a long time. Not another Hitler bio! Why would I want to read it, after I've read Toland's, Fest's, Kershaw's and Hamman's?

But actually it's quite good. For a start, it's written very fluently and I often find myself reading about 20 pages, although I planned to only read about 4.

Ullrich builds upon Kershaws bio, as he says himself, but wants to dispell some myths and legends that are still to be found in the literature. He uses the new sources that have come to light since Kershaw's study, such as new parts of Goebbels' diary.
Ullrich expects you to have read most of the earlier bio's. So, when reading his book, you never have the feeling that you've read it all before (except perhaps when it comes to Hitler's boring pre-WW1 years). Ullrich still manages to surprise you: he gives anecdotes you never heard before, looks at crises and negotiations from a different angle than you're used to, and refutes some myths you still believed in. Even most pictures in the book are "new" ones that I've never seen before. So when reading the book, you don't get the "oh no, not again!"-feeling that I was fearing because I've read quite a lot Hitler bio's.

But on the other hand, nothing is left out and it's also a good book for beginners. Having read the earlier H. biographies comes in handy, but is not required. Ullrich managed to find a balance between completeness on the one hand and keeping the "experts" interested on the other hand (not that I would call myself an expert, but you know what I mean).

sanvitotagliamento

Post by sanvitotagliamento » 16 Jan 2017 04:36

I am currently reading three excellent books on WWII:

We March Against England: Operation Sea Lion, 1940–41, Osprey Publishing, 2016

Folgore Parachute Division: North African Operations 1940-43, Helion and Company, 2017

Gustaf Mannerheim: Command Series, Osprey, 2015

gudcdn

Post by gudcdn » 23 Jun 2017 03:54

Cloth Insignia of the SS By John Angolia
Gauliter Vol 2 By Michael Miller and Andreas Shulz
The Face of Courage by Florian Berger

pintere

Post by pintere » 13 Sep 2017 15:37

I am starting up on Peter Mooney's "Waffen SS Knights and their Battles."

The name of the series itself is one that I'm not the biggest fan of, however for research purposes the series is a real gem. Compared to a lot of other books that deal with a group of Knight's Cross Holders, where often you'll only find info on things like date of birth/death, awards, promotions, etc. in this one Mooney really has done his homework. Each individual recipient has a lot of info on their person, with the majority having translated recommendations for the award. This, along with other factors, sets this series as the ultimate reference guide for Waffen SS Knight's Cross Holders.

My only wish is that such quality work existed in English for other branches of the Wehrmacht as well.

JeroenPollentier

Post by JeroenPollentier » 17 Sep 2017 10:02

I found this book on a flea market this morning:

Herbert P. Bix: Hirohito and the making of modern Japan

It's a hardcover edition in excellent condition and it only cost 1 Euro :)

I'll start reading it as soon as I have finished Christopher Clark's "Sleepwalkers"

JeroenPollentier

Post by JeroenPollentier » 01 Nov 2017 18:36

I started reading Gitta Sereny's "Into that Darkness - from Mercy Killing to Mass Murder, a study of Franz Stangl, the commandant of Treblinka". It's very interesting and well-written.

JeroenPollentier

Post by JeroenPollentier » 02 Feb 2018 11:14

I want to read up on WW2 from (mainly) the American point of view.
I know what happened in Europe in the 1930's-1940's, that's not what I'm looking for at the moment.

I want to read more about D-Day, The battle of the Bulge (Anthony Beevor?), Pearl Harbor, IWo Jima, the Atom Bomb, ...

Are there any books you can recommend? I'm mainly looking for well-written general introductions, and I'm trying to avoid lengthy academic works (though I might read those later on).

Thanks!

Attrition

Post by Attrition » 02 Feb 2018 22:06

Hitler's War in the East, 1941-1945: A Critical AssessmentHitler's War in the East, 1941-1945: A Critical Assessment by Rolf-Dieter Muller et al. again. Still not impressed by the lack of economic determinism and the tendency to treat Eastern Bloc historians as on a lower moral plane than bourgeois historians in the commentaries but still, quite an achievement.

hortones

Post by hortones » 10 Feb 2018 09:20

My favorite fiction book on WW2 is called "When the Elephants Dance" by Tess Uriza Holthe. It gives a perspective of World War 2 in the islands of the Pacific, particularly the Philippines and their ordeal with the Japanese soldiers.

Lamarck

Post by Lamarck » 11 Feb 2018 22:04

I would like to start reading more on the Nazi plans for the British Isles. Could someone recommend me a few books? Thank you.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”