What is everyone reading on WW2?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Dunkirchen1940

Post by Dunkirchen1940 » 31 Aug 2003, 21:44

Now I am reading "With our backs to Berlin".
My opinion is that it's the best book ever.
Karl

Big Vern

Post by Big Vern » 12 Sep 2003, 20:30

Hi All
I have just finshed reading Hitlers Teutonic Knights SS Panzers in action.
By Bruce Quarrie.
This I have found to be a very interesting book, so much so I'm after the authors previous book.
It has made me want to learn more about 3 paticular subjects.
1 Wiking.
2 The battle at Kursk And
3 Fritz Klingenberg of Das Reich

Threepwood

Post by Threepwood » 13 Sep 2003, 10:07

I'm currently reading 7,000 Kilometers in a Sturmgeschütz, The Wartime Diaries and Photo Album of Knight’s Cross Recipient Heinrich Engel. It's just an illustrated diary, which is good, I don't need to double check everything that I read.
After this book Wilhelm Tiekes Tragedy of the Faithful, A History of the III. (germanisches) SS-Panzer-Korps is waiting for me. I really look forward to read that book.

Qvist

Post by Qvist » 13 Sep 2003, 12:23

I have just started "Under Hakekors og Danebrog" - a thorough general history of the Danish W-SS volunteers. It appears as very much the thing that is entirely missing for the W-SS as a whole, and for that matter, for the Norwegian volunteers - a comprehensive history dealing with all major aspects, including such issues as criminality, ideology and participation in war crimes AS WELL AS the combat aspects. Excellent!

cheers

WernerHolt

Post by WernerHolt » 13 Sep 2003, 12:35

Now I'm reading the Reinhard Heydrich Memorial Book,but theres not much to read,but excellent pictures.It was a real torture to get this book for my collection. :oops:

brau meister

Post by brau meister » 18 Sep 2003, 18:29

I started "With our Backs to Berlin" last night. It is pretty good so far. I don't know if I agree that its the best ever, but pretty good.

I like the premise. The editor has written on the topic before and had all these stories that didn't make earlier books so he collected them in this one.

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 20 Oct 2003, 04:09

Right now I am reading "War Without Garlands: Operation Barbarossa"
by Robert J. Kershaw.

What an incredibly personal view of the invasion of the Soviet Union, it describes with excellent detail the difficulty faced by the Wehrmacht in their invasion, the huge distances the infantry marched without rest, the fiercely determined resistance by an enemy they had never faced before (someone who, when surrounded, didn't surrender) and also their first look at armor like they had never faced. Amazing to read how one KV-1, well dug in, obliterated everything in its path, and completely stopped a resupply convoy for 48 hours as an 88mm artillery piece was needed to pierce the armor, and grenades then were thrown in to finish it off.

Highly recommended reading.

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 20 Oct 2003, 16:18

By now i'm halfway of Heinz Günther Guderian's From Normandy to the Ruhr.With the 116th Panzer Division in World War II.

I've to say that it has been a major dissapointment.I had such high hopes for this one.Find it used for 15$,not bad of 600 pages history of very interesting Panzer Division.Can't complaint of professionalism of author,he was Ib of Division but mayby there's the problem.The book lacks compleatly "ground level".After 300 pages only one men from enlisted ranks had had few lines in book.Officers describes larger lines of battles but there's no word from the trenches and with that book is very monotonous to read,it feels almost like work :roll: .Or mayby book is only for officers with general staff education :lol:

Shame really,with interviews from lower ranks that book would be so much more readiple.

Cheers/Juha

Germania

Post by Germania » 20 Oct 2003, 17:13

brau meister wrote:I started "With our Backs to Berlin" last night. It is pretty good so far. I don't know if I agree that its the best ever, but pretty good.

I like the premise. The editor has written on the topic before and had all these stories that didn't make earlier books so he collected them in this one.
Where you get it?

Polynike

Post by Polynike » 21 Oct 2003, 23:55

im reading barbarossa by alan clarke good read

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 24 Nov 2003, 00:19

Currently reading The Gulag by Anne Applebaum.

This is an incredibly detailed examination of the Gulag's beginnings, and much of the research includes firsthand accounts from prisoners throughout the years. It is a riveting account, and the details provided by former prisoners thus far, combined with the investigation by Applebaum into the origins of the Gulag, how Stalin encouraged mass arrests and was obsessed with gaining confessions, and the role of the NKVD in obtaining these, has made this a fascinating book, with much reading remaining.

curious

Post by curious » 24 Nov 2003, 09:06

Just finished

Magda Goebbels - First Lady of the Third Reich by Hans-Otto Meissner

and will start next with

The Author of Himself - The Life of Marcel Reich-Ranicki

or possibly

Stalingrad und die Verantwortung des Soldaten by Joachim Wieder

Grünherz

what is everyone reading

Post by Grünherz » 24 Nov 2003, 09:42

On a non-WWII tangent...I will soon start REREADING the 20 volumes of Patrick O'Brians Jack Aubrey/Patrick Maturin Napoleonic-era naval adventures. Great, great stuff! The new movie is out based on the books but I have yet to see it. I probably will be disappointed.
Tom

Dora

Post by Dora » 27 Nov 2003, 05:48

Just finished "Hitler's Volksstrum" and finally got around to reading "The Red Orchestra".
Dora
800mm

Grünherz

Re: what is everyone reading

Post by Grünherz » 27 Nov 2003, 08:03

tscrawford wrote:On a non-WWII tangent...I will soon start REREADING the 20 volumes of Patrick O'Brians Jack Aubrey/Patrick Maturin Napoleonic-era naval adventures. Great, great stuff! The new movie is out based on the books but I have yet to see it. I probably will be disappointed.
Tom
I was not disappointed. Maybe some might be. Good movie.
Tom

(I should be clearer: the movie is "Master and Commander--The Far Side of the World". READ THE BOOKS--wow!!)
Last edited by Grünherz on 27 Nov 2003, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”