Michael Reynolds

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
MICHAELM82

Michael Reynolds

Post by MICHAELM82 » 20 May 2002, 20:16

Hi
Thinking of getting all three of Reynolds books and heard that some people find the text inaccurate and some find the OOB to be great, what is your opion on the titles?Should I buy them??????
Best
Michael

David S

Reynolds

Post by David S » 16 Jun 2002, 21:29

You could do worse!

I find them interesting, sometimes helpful. Tidbits I didn't know.

David

Mark V.

Reynolds

Post by Mark V. » 17 Jun 2002, 00:13

Hi Mike!

I have two books from him (Steel Inferno and Sons of the Reich), both are reasonobly good. Since I don't have any books about Hitlerjugend or LAH yet, I can't really say that Steel Inferno is inaccurate, but I also heard it's quite inaccurate. On the other side I can tell you that Sons of the Reich is full of mistakes.
Regarding OOb (Steel Inferno) it really is great, but since you already know so much about both units you probably won't find anything new. The OOB structure of Panzer Regiment and Aufsklarung Abteilung is covered down to company commanders other units to battalion commanders.
Also the maps are quite owfull.
I think the best part of his books is that he covers both German and Allied units and thus gives you a full coverage of the batllefield. And he could have done a little more research and talk to the veterans.
All in all, since Steel Inferno is quite cheap, it must be one of the better books for that price.

Mark Vidmar

MICHAELM82

Post by MICHAELM82 » 18 Jun 2002, 23:46

Mark,
Thanks for sharing your opion on the two books.
I will probably pass on Sons of the Reich but get his two other, Steel Inferno and Men of Steel.I like to have several sources on the western front.
Do you think its pointless to get these two books if I already have Hubert Meyers book on the HJ?He has some good oob's and maps that probably dont capare to reynolds.
Mike

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 21 Jun 2002, 17:36

Hi Mike

I had a similar dillema like you when I was ordering Sons of the Reich, since I also have the book about the Hohenstaufen. Nevertheless I didn't regret buying it, although, as I already mentioned it has a lot of errors.
The best part of the Reynolds books as I also already mentioned (Steel Inferno) is that he compares informations from both Meyer's and Lehmann's books on one side and British sources on the other side. So he is able to confirm or deny both German authors in their description of battles that took place. Because he uses histories of several British units he is able to state their exact casualties for different battles. And also he criticizes almost every British or Canadian move in Normandy and shows their incompetence.
If I compare the Carell's book They are coming and Steel Inferno in my opinion Reynolds book is much better.
Well if you decide on buying both books I would recommend you to first buy Steel Inferno (the paperback version - $6.50) and then decide for yourself whether to buy Men of Steel.

P.S.
I am currently trying to decide which books to order next and Hubert Meyer's book is very high on my shortlist.

MICHAELM82

Post by MICHAELM82 » 21 Jun 2002, 19:05

Mark
Dont hesitate to buy H.Meyers book!You will be so happy with it and its detailed information.This is my favorite book out of my books and it sits right in front of me at my desk!It has a full oob down to kompanie level, many photos and documents.You will not be dissaponted one bit!
I heard that its going fast so get your hands on one before its oop!!!!!
Happy reading
Mike

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”