Books about Battle of Berlin

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
KW

Books about Battle of Berlin

Post by KW » 24 May 2002, 10:08

I would like to have your suggestions about futher reading about battle of Berlin ?
I have just finished Beevors new Berlin book
Thanks
KW

Fridolin

Post by Fridolin » 24 May 2002, 12:15

Try Tony Le Tissier's 'Zukhov at the Oder' (1996) and 'Race for the Reichstag (1999). A completely different approach, based on 'hard' data and real military history.
Best Regards

timoa

Cornelius Ryan:The Last Battle

Post by timoa » 24 May 2002, 15:39

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 24 May 2002, 17:01

And Cornelius Ryan:The Last Battle.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 24 May 2002, 17:44

The Fall of Berlin: With the Russian Army in Berlin.The Last Battle of Nazi Germany Marshal Vasili I. Chuikov (Paperback) Ballentine Books, N.Y. 1969

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 24 May 2002, 21:13

Tony Le Tissier "The Battle for Berlin" 1988

Lord Gort

Post by Lord Gort » 24 May 2002, 23:37

What did you guys think of Antony Beevor Berlin cos I just read it.

Fridolin

Beevor

Post by Fridolin » 25 May 2002, 00:49

Have a look at my comments in tge 'Reference' section.
Well, come to think of it, a little cut&paste can do no harm :D

I have just finished it, and I find it a failure and not much better -an in many aspects worse- than earlier books (Toland, Ryan, Le Tissier...)

-This is not really a book on the battle for Berlin. It's main subject is, by far, the sufferings of civilian population, and specially the often atrocious behaviour of the Red Army, gang-rape being among the most frequent subjects. I believe Beevor was justly acclaimed for his pages on the terrible realities of War in 'Stalingrad'. Now he has overdone it.

-His treatment of tactical operations is at best perfunctory. He jumps from the operational level (at Front ot Army level) to the 'worm's eye'views of soldiers or civilians. So, do not hope to see any real discussion of what happened at tactical level at Seelow (apart from Beevor's plain opinion that Zukhov paid for his mistake with the blood of his soldiers -more or less literal-. Le Tissier is much, much better at this.

-Not very detailed on small units, or even at divisional level. You won't find much on Muncheberg PZDiv, and nothing at all on, for example, the Spanish SS units fighting in central Berlin to the very end.

-Rather superficial in political aspects too. I'd rather have Toland's 'The last 100 Days', or Ryan's than this one for the overall picture. He is rather strong, however, when correlating political and military matters (the day after Stalin said this, Zukhov did that, and so on).

-True, he uses new archival material, but he uses it mostly for the anecdote, 'à la Ryan'. But however, IMO he does not manage to use these personal accounts for a really interesting view of the military aspects of the battle. While Le Tissier's cites, for example, are always useful for the understanding of different tactical or military points, Beevor's are 80% to prove that war is hell, something we already knew. 'Rape' is probably the most often cited word in the book (well, perhaps I exaggerate a little bit).

-Illustrations: Maps are completely dissapointing. Clearly designed for the complete layman, they only show units at army level, and concentrate on those in certain operations. Very limited and utterly uninformative.

-Appendixes: None. Does not even include an Order of Battle (even at Army level), something he did in his 'Stalingrad'.

-Narrative: Gripping. Very well written. In comparison Le Tissier is rather dull.

-Overall: For the interested military buff or amateur historian, not to mention the professional, this is a rather dissapointing book, much worse than 'Stalingrad' (that paid much more attention to the actual battle). Obviously meant for the VERY general public, nothing really new, not very detailed in military matters.

PS: Now I read the whole tirade again, it looks as if I think this is a bad book.
No, it is not. It ios a great book provided you take it as it is, and acknowledge it is not a manual of tactics.
I personally found it disapointing because it did not fulfill my expectations. But it is a great book from many points of view. Problem is, I read it after Le Tissier's, and found it wanting in military detail. But it is otherwise a good book: over 400 pages, you cannot leave it once you begin reading, and it is full of anecdotal material.
Cheers

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Yep!

Post by David C. Clarke » 25 May 2002, 01:03

Yes, I pretty much agree with Fridolin's analysis. On thing I'll add about the "flavor" of the book. Not a single person's actions are ever ascribed by Beevor to be the result of heroism. Beevor would have us believe that the fear of execution acted as the primary motivation for both the Soviets and the Germans. He simply does not acknowledge heroism as a human trait, something I found very distressing. Cheers, D

Erich

Post by Erich » 25 May 2002, 23:05

Batle for Berlin, then and now..big book
Berlin ist Todtkampf

I believe there are several French publications covering the 33rd SS and 11th SS Nordland in their struggles for Berlin.

E

Scragz

Post by Scragz » 27 May 2002, 04:38

Hi There

First time for me on this board, I have been reading here alot latley and thought I might as well join as I have always been interested in this period. My favourite book about the Berlin Battle is The Fall of Berlin - Anthony Read and David Fisher.

I have read it many times and always enjoy pulling this book out and starting again.

Similar subject would have to be
The BerlinBunker- James P. O'Donnell.

Although not really about the street fighting but shows a well investigated look into the last days in the Bunker

It is really good to find a book that can show these important moments of the Third Reich as told by the Soldiers and Generals.

Hoo-Roo

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 29 May 2002, 16:08

I suggest, "With Our Backs to Berlin, The German Army in Retreat 1945" by Tony Le Tissier.

pdhinkle36ID

BATTLE OF BERLIN

Post by pdhinkle36ID » 02 Jun 2002, 12:47

My primary interest is HITLER and The Bunker. I have read more than 10 books on this subject. Some mentioned here.
Ref: The bunkers,last days of Hitler by James P. O,Donnell
The life and death of Adolph Htiler by Robert Payne
The death of Adolph Hitler by Lev Bezymenski (russian acount)
I have no recommendations on any books, I read for content. These books make some reference to the living conditions in the city and the bunker at that time. April 1945.

KW

Post by KW » 03 Jun 2002, 14:17

Thanks friends...
Now there is four different books by Le Tissier .....could anyone tell my diffrenceses between these books..I am considering to buying one or two of Le Tissier books...
I have already read Ryan´s Last Battle ,the Bunker by O´Donnel and Last days of´Hitler by Joachimsthaler
KW

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”