Albert Speer & your opinion

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Rocco

Albert Speer & your opinion

Post by Rocco » 24 May 2002, 13:26

Hey Guys,

I am writing an assignment in which I am evaluating the reliability of Albert Speer's memoirs "inside the third reich".

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or hints that can be of assistance. Basically i have to look at what he said and consider it against what various secondary sources say. If any knows any areas of discrepancy in the book, I would appreciate any assistance.

Cheers Rocco

Phaethon

Post by Phaethon » 24 May 2002, 13:41

Gita Sereny's "Albert Speer: His Battle With The Truth" Addresses this question.

I picked up a copy of Joachim Fest's book "Speer : The Final Verdict" yeserday but didn't have my wallet to buy it :(

One sentence I read though was along the lines of "Speer may not have know about death camps, but he knew enough not to ask questions" which pretty much sums up my conclusions.

BTW does anyone know what the difference is between these two books?

Speer : The Final Verdict ~ Joachim Fest -- (Hardcover - September 2002)

Speer ~ Joachim Fest, Ewald Osers (Translator) -- (Hardcover - 27 September, 2001)

Are they different editions but essentially the same?

Cheers

K.

Xanthro

Post by Xanthro » 24 May 2002, 17:49

I don't think Speer delibertly lies about anything, but the book is from his point of view, so it is tainted by that, just as all primary sources are tainted to some degree.

For example, he talks about his plot to kill Hitler by dropping poison down the ventilation shaft. Speer gives a different account as to why he backed off this plan, one, that a tower had been built over the shaft so he no longer had access, two, that the people of German still had faith in Hitler, so he couldn't kill him.

His book is at odds with testimony given during interogation. However, this is common.

Speer was the closest Hitler had to a real friend as an adult, the book is valuable for that alone. It gives great insight into how the Third Reich was run.

Did Speer know about the death camps, yes and no, he had no direct knowledge, but he deduced what was happening, and knew enough not to gather information in that area. The less he knew the better.

Xanthro

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 24 May 2002, 19:09

Welcome to the forum.

/Marcus

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”