Budapest the Stalingrad of the Waffen SS

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Benoit Douville

Budapest the Stalingrad of the Waffen SS

Post by Benoit Douville » 17 Mar 2002, 03:33

Anyone have read this book by Richard Landwehr? Look interesting.

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 18 Mar 2002, 19:24

Yes i have read it, it is very interesting...
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 19 Mar 2002, 06:26

Could you give me more details. What touch you the most in that book and why should i bought it!

Regards

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 19 Mar 2002, 06:54

Well it gives you a unique perspective that you otherwise would not have into the life of a Waffen SS soldier during the siege that goes ignored, as does the Siege of Budapest i'm afraid.
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 20 Mar 2002, 21:48

Budapest was also the place where the Jews were taken to the concentration camp in 1944.
Last edited by Benoit Douville on 26 Jun 2002, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 20 Mar 2002, 22:03

However the books whole concept is wrong...They over and over again make the claim that the SS was the backbone of the whole defence, however the Hungarian troops saw more Combat, obviously fought harder as the SS was the first to retreat...The Hungarians knew the City best and if it were not for the Hungarians the SS would not know their way around aswell, and would have been screwed every which way... They had a big role behind the Defence...But as to who deserves the credit for holding the Soviet soldiers at bay it is obviously the Hungarian partisans and militia that harrassed them and entrapped small groups of them, the SS did hardly any combat time compared to the Hungarian troops who were up front... If you ever see any pictures of the Siege of Budapest, most are pictures of Hungarian Soldiers and SS soldiers fighting side by side in the streets, and if you take a reall look at it the Hungarian troops are always 10-20 yards ahead of the Germans. And you also see that Hungarians seem more Disciplined and trained in City fighting which is given away by their body positions in relation to an enemy building as opposed to the Germans to some degree just standing around...The Hungarians were definitely better at and were much more adapted to City fighting than the Germans, as some even fought at Stalingrad...SO it is unfair to say that the SS was the backbone, and entirely untrue...
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 20 Mar 2002, 22:09

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 20 Mar 2002, 22:13

This is in a Russian Village in 1942, notice the Hungarians [ with less equipment ] [Left] have their rifles drawn and aimed at the house and are cautiously waiting for the dust to settle while the Germans [Right] have guns on their back and are rushing the house not knowing what is in it and don't even have their weapons drawn...
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 20 Mar 2002, 22:17

Notice the Leading Hungarian [ Closest to house out of any of the Soldiers in the picture ] has two FEG m1912 "STOP" pistols drawn and aimed at the house, that is crazy... and kinda cool...don't ya think?
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Timo

Post by Timo » 20 Mar 2002, 23:40

Well, sorry but thats a lot of nonsense.

First of all: How do you know these men don't know what's in the house? How do you know the men on the right are "rushing the house"? How do you know this photo wasn't staged after the fighting?

Also: The men on the right have their guns on their back? I can't see their guns at all, at least not on their back. Probabely because they have their guns in front of them. Much equipment but no guns. Two drawn pistols? All I see is a lot of black shadows that obsure any indentification of the mans weapons, let alone the type of weapons.

In other words: from this photo I can't make out any of the thing you claim. Not even if the guys on the left are indeed hungarians and the men on the right Germans. For all I see, they might as well be some men from an Einsatz commando storming a Russian farmhouse, given the lack of gear. The backpack of the soldier on the far right could even be a flame trower (note the hose near his right shoulder).

Just my 2 cents,
Timo
Last edited by Timo on 20 Mar 2002, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 21 Mar 2002, 01:07

Sorry but i must laugh timo, you say the hose...First a Flame thrower is too bulky to not be identified...

The reason i know all of this is because it is from Milan's personal photo album...I got the information from him...

The reason you can't see the guns are because they are two officer's ...BOTH HAVE MACHINE PISTOLS [ MP40's ] which eplains the "Hose" you saw...that is the rather slender leather sling...That is why i thought it was funny, i wasn't making fun of you or anything, but if you knew anything about SMG's and German soldiers you would have picked that out without trouble...Once again, im not insulting you, you are awesome at info on SS officers, im awesome at identifying and giving you information about all Small arms from 1890-1945...Quiz me on any small arm of WWII...Come on try me :) :o :?

As for how i know all that, well i can give you the e-mails in which Milan sent me and described it if you'd like. And he said that the lead Hungarian closest to the house was carrying to sidearms [ only sidearm in Honved service from 1939-1945 OFFICIALLY ] was the Frommer STOP m 1912/ 39m...

And what they were doing was storming a house where they suspected that there was a Sniper, so they blew it with some sort of explosive [ i don't know what, i would have to ask Milan ] and then secured it...
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 21 Mar 2002, 01:09

my 2 cents :P
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Timo

Post by Timo » 21 Mar 2002, 02:32

Excellent and very interesting info.

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 21 Mar 2002, 02:40

oh come on, you didn't quiz me, quiz me...THATS AN ORDER!!!!!!!!! Oh and anyone not just timo can ask me questions and quiz me on WWII small arms...
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Timo

Post by Timo » 21 Mar 2002, 02:45

Geppistoly Katona wrote:oh come on, you didn't quiz me, quiz me...THATS AN ORDER!!!!!!!!! Oh and anyone not just timo can ask me questions and quiz me on WWII small arms...
???

You just didn't provide any info about why you knew exactly whats in these pics. I mean why you knew exactly those things others can't see. Now that I know I consider it good info

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”