Sturmgeschütze vor!

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Marcus

Sturmgeschütze vor!

Post by Marcus » 10 Mar 2002 14:40

Has anyone of you read or can comment on "Sturmgeschütze vor! Assault Guns to the Front" by Franz Kurowski?

/Marcus

David C. Clarke

Sturmgeschutze Vor!

Post by David C. Clarke » 10 Mar 2002 17:27

Hi Marcus, I have this book and I enjoy it. It has many personal accounts of combat action. But don't believe that it is either all-inclusive of StuG Abts. or that it is well organized. All in all, it's a decent book and will do until something better comes along. It's photo section doesn't contain much new, it doesn't have a much-needed index and it's coverage of units is distinctly spotty. It is also over-priced IMHO. But I don't regret buying it, there's nothing else in English that comes close to it. Very Best Regards, David :) :) Love these smiley things, a guy could get obsessive with them :) :) :) but that won't happen to me :) :) will it? :) :) :)

Marcus

Re: Sturmgeschutze Vor!

Post by Marcus » 10 Mar 2002 18:49

David,
Commissar D the EviL wrote:Hi Marcus, I have this book and I enjoy it. It has many personal accounts of combat action. But don't believe that it is either all-inclusive of StuG Abts. or that it is well organized. All in all, it's a decent book and will do until something better comes along. It's photo section doesn't contain much new, it doesn't have a much-needed index and it's coverage of units is distinctly spotty. It is also over-priced IMHO.
It sounds promising despite your downsides you mention, after all there are no other books on the topic available that I know of, at least not in english.
How many StuG Abteilungen are covered and how much detail is provided on each?

btw. don't take this the wrong way, but am I mixing things up or were you talking about changing your username?

/Marcus

David C. Clarke

Sturmgeschutze Vor!

Post by David C. Clarke » 10 Mar 2002 19:35

Hi Marcus, Well, I had threatened to change my user name on Feldgrau, since some clown was posting as "David C. Clarke". But because your Forum requires registration, I wasn't worried about an imposter. I mean, our names and reputations are all we have--it would be ironic if Commissar D could post freely and David C. Clarke couldn't!!!
Anyway, getting back to Kuroski. The book is your standard beautifully-bound, glossy paper JJF publication, 282 pages in length. Subtract from that pages 193-282 which are pictures and lists of Knight's Cross winners of the Sturmartillerie and a page of StuG line drawings. There are also four photo sections pages 9-21, pages 91-115, pages 147-159 and pages 193-on. The Table of Contents divides the book into 1. Independent Assault Gun Batteries, 2. Independent Assault Gun Batteries and Brigades (StuG Abt. 177--236) 3. StuG Abt. 237--Stug-Ersatz Abt. 360 and 4. StuG Abt. 301--StuG Abt. Grossdeutschland. SS StuG Abt. are dealt with on one page, page 254. The two major criticisms of this book are spotty coverage, which I have no quarrel with, the writer must work with the material he has and poor organization--everything factual is worked into a narrative, so you can't just look at a section and see at a glance when the Abt. received a new commander or exactly what division it worked with. On the other hand, certain StuG Abts. are covered nicely. StuG Abt. 201 gets several pages of coverage, while StuG Abt. 911 gets barely a page. Also, the narrative picks up where the sources begin, so in the poorly covered Abts., the narrative may start in, say 1944, when you know the unit was formed in 1943. But still, I'm a StuG fan and I never regretted the purchase of the book, even though it raises many questions. The combat accounts are typically inspiring in the Kurowski way and it is the only thing in English that even pretends to cover the subject. I hope this helps Marcus. Very Best Regards, David

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 10 Mar 2002 19:58

David,

Thanks for the additional info.

/Marcus

Takao

Thanks Dave!

Post by Takao » 10 Mar 2002 21:03

I too have been looking into purchasing this book. Hopefully, I will purchase it sometime in April. My interest in the Stugs has been growing lately and I'm looking for some good books on them.

David C. Clarke

StuG Books

Post by David C. Clarke » 10 Mar 2002 21:25

Hi Takao, one bit of advice, don't waste your money on the Ryton Sturmgeschutze book like I did. Collect photos that have been used before, photograph a museum example and add a bunch of pictures of Knight's Cross winners and you've got the Ryton formula. Really a bad book. Best regards, David

Takao

Post by Takao » 10 Mar 2002 23:55

Thank's for the head's up David. I enjoyed Ryton's books on the Tiger and Panther, I thought one on the SdKfz 251 was OK. I never had heard of one on the Sturmgeschutze before. When I was down at Kennett Square I saw copies of "7000 kilometers in a Sturmgeschutze" and "Combat History of Sturmgeschutze Brigade 276." Both looked very enticing.

David C. Clarke

StuG Books

Post by David C. Clarke » 11 Mar 2002 00:41

Hi Takao, I too enjoyed Ryton's books on the Panther and Tiger. They also publish one on German armored personell carriers which I don't have. I just received a copy "7000 kilometers in a Sturmgeschutze" and haven't read it. It is really an early war memoir full of pics of short barreled StuGs. As for the "Combat History of Sturmgeschutze Brigade 276", I'm afraid I just can't recommend it. My expectations tend to be high with JJF and personally, I just didn't enjoy the book and found it to be surprisingly short on basic factual information. But I don't want to put you off on this book, my advice is to read portions of it first. I bought it "blind", which is never a good policy. Best Regards, David

Takao

Thank's again.

Post by Takao » 11 Mar 2002 02:45

I try not to buy books "blind", but sometimes that is unavoidable. I'll remember your info next week when I go visiting again and take a closer look at the two.

Erich

Stug Book

Post by Erich » 12 Mar 2002 23:38

Guys :

I think David/Commisar has hit the mark fairly well. As mentioned it is one of the very few books written on the subject with the units and individual kommandeurs in mind. The Abteilungs and Brigades are in very short form, but some interesting info on the Fallshirm Brigade stugs. Nothing on the Waffen-SS except for a kommandeur or two. Big fault in my opinion, but this I believe is what Franz had in mind, and that was to use existing information he already had from years back with no updates or personal present interviews from the Heer. Several pages in the back of individuals but I would have preferred a lengthy bio on each as well as their total "kills" listing for each member. Also a total "kills" list for each Stug Abteilung/Brigade.

Erich

David C. Clarke

Late Breaking News!

Post by David C. Clarke » 13 Mar 2002 04:39

Hi Guys, Today I received a copy of the softcover Squadron Signal "Sturmgeschutze III Walk Around". It is awesome, 80 pages, 40 color pictures, 12 color profiles--a really indepth look at the StuG. And it only cost $12.96+ shipping. Makes me want to throw mty Ryton Sturmgeschutze book in the trash. Highly recommended, phot quality is magnificent and shows museum StuGs and StuGs in action. Really a best value. :!: Best Regards, David :D :D :D :D

Erich

Stug books .....

Post by Erich » 13 Mar 2002 04:46

David :

You have the older Stug III title from Squadron-Signal correct ? Did I understand correctly that you thought 7000 kilos in a Stug was a waste of monies ?

Erich

Takao

Thanks for the update David.

Post by Takao » 13 Mar 2002 05:35

I heard that Squadron/Signal was working on it, but didn't see it out yet.

Erich

That was his review of "Combat History of Sturmgeschutze Brigade 276". He just recieved "7000 kilometers in a Sturmgeschutze" and hadn't read it yet. When he does, I'm sure he'll let us know. (No pressure David :D )

Erich

Post by Erich » 13 Mar 2002 05:59

Takao :

Yes I read the posts by David again and you are right......

also a couple of interesting books are Knight gunner by Alfred Regeniter of the Stug-Brig. 276 and the Stug-Abteilung/Brigade 210 via Hans Wijers. The last one a small 1/4 inch thick booklet with some intersting text, maps and photos.

Erich

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”