Books wanted - Opinions sought

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Meech

Books wanted - Opinions sought

Post by Meech » 29 Jun 2002, 07:13

Hi All,

I am looking for a reccomendation , then I'd like to purchase, a decent well researched book, or two, on Goering and or Himmler.

Secondly, has anyone read "Ordinary Men" by Christopher Browning and interested in discussing it?

Thanks

Michel

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 29 Jun 2002, 12:28

Himmler by Padfield is best overall bio covering his entire life in English. Ordinary men is a good book and only Orpo unit study of any type I'm aware of.

Mark

Martin Månsson

Post by Martin Månsson » 29 Jun 2002, 20:09

Best bio on Göring is David Irvings.

Best
Martin

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 30 Jun 2002, 01:01

Peter Padfield's book about Himmler seems to be one of the better ones about. It certainly is the most popular one in recent years.

I remember reading Ordinary Men when it first came out. To an extent, it fleshes out the combat police units that took part in einsatzgruppen extermination shootings. Until this book, most things I have read on the subject portrayed the men simply as monsters and moved on. Browning acknowledges the humanity in them and draws on interviews with the men to give a voice to what they felt and experienced while in active service during the war.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”