Italian early Afrika and Balkan campaign sources....

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Italian early Afrika and Balkan campaign sources....

Post by Christoph Awender » 24 Jul 2002, 20:24

Hello!

Are there any sources books (german or english), websites, archives that gove a daily overview of the italian campaigns on the balkan and in Afrika?

I now have just the reports of the various german Militärattachés and the liaison officers to the italians which are very undetailed.

Christoph

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 24 Jul 2002, 21:20

Hi Christoph

Not sure how much help this will be but "The Air War for Yugoslavia, Greece & Crete 1940-41" gives detailed (Almost daily) action reports of the Air from Italy attacking Greece from Albania, the arrival of the RAF, through the German invasion of Yugoslavia with the combats between Axis-Yugoslav-British air forces, to the allied defence in Greece and onward to Crete.

Has lots of OoB's. Published by Grubb Street (ISBN 0-948817070) and written by C.Shores, B.Cull and N.Malizia

:D Andy from the Shire

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

many thanks...

Post by Christoph Awender » 24 Jul 2002, 21:30

Hello Andy!

Thanks, great tip! Already ordered!!

Christoph

Momo

Italy in the Balkans

Post by Momo » 25 Jul 2002, 00:17

Christoph
If you speak Italian yo can get some very detailed information on operations.
You can start with the 1996 puplication from the Offical Story Office, Studi Storico-Militari. On page 129 you will find part four of Cronache di guerriglia in iugoslavia, by Francesco Fatutta. It starts it's history in January 1943 until September 1943. I don't have the other three parts, but I'm sure they have a great amount of information also. If some one can translate the following you will get a picture of what's it about?

"14-15 Gennaio: Unita partigiane inquadrate nell'ambito della 6 Divisione attaccano Gracac (Lika), difesa da circa 600 cetnici e 300 soldati italiani appartenenti al 151 Regimento della Divisione di fanteria Sassari, ma dopo diverse ore di combattimenti, causa la violentissima pioggia, desistono. I difensori lamentano 41 morti, 22 ferti e 115 prigionieri, questi ultimi cetnici, mentre i partigiani hanno avuto 40 morti, fra i quali il comandante del Battaglione Ognjen Prica, 67 ferii e 57 dispersi."

I understand the basic meaning of this text, but not the details. My uncle was a cetnik in this battle and I've talked to others who said it ws one of the hardest they fought. Cetniks/MVAC were brought from Herzegovina to this region to help fight the Partisans and many were killed in this battle.

Momo

Luca

Post by Luca » 16 Sep 2002, 01:54

I read only today this request of help.
I hope that, cause this request now go up of list, some italian Member that know well the english can traslate.
I obvious understend well but my eventually traslation will very funny.
In any case ,if some help no will arrive,if You want,i will start traslation. :roll:

Håkan Gustavsson

The Campaign in the Italian East Africa (AOI)

Post by Håkan Gustavsson » 18 Sep 2002, 11:33

Hello,

"Dust Clouds in the Middle East" also by Christopher Shores (1996 Grub Street, London, ISBN 1-898697-37-X) covers the air war for the East African campaign in an daily manner in the same way as "Air War for Yugoslavia..." (albeit much thinner in size since the capaign was more limited and as a bonus you get the Iraqi campaign).

Highly recommended about this little known campaign.

Best wishes/Håkan Gustavsson

WWII Biplane Fighter Aces
http://www.dalnet.se/~surfcity

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”