Book Review: Budapest: The Stalingrad of the Waffen-SS

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
Dan W.
Financial supporter

Book Review: Budapest: The Stalingrad of the Waffen-SS

Post by Dan W. » 03 Aug 2002 17:36

I am looking for any reviews of this book by Richard Landwehr. Has anyone read this, and, if so, what did you think of it?

Thanks.....Dan :)

Erich

Book

Post by Erich » 03 Aug 2002 18:24

Dan :

Save your big monies for the JJF book on "Drama between Budapest and Vienna". It should be everything you want to know. This will be a translation of the German reference by Munin Verlag, including some new photo material I am told. Can't wait !

E

Dan W.
Financial supporter

Post by Dan W. » 03 Aug 2002 18:48

Erich,

Thank you for this information. You call it a "JJF" book. Does this refer to the author or the publisher? And would you tell me who the author of this is? Will it be released in English? This sounds very promising and between Budapest and Vienna is exactly where I would like to research.

Regards,
--D.W. :)

David C. Clarke

hey D.W.

Post by David C. Clarke » 03 Aug 2002 18:54

That's J.J. Fedorowicz Publishing:

http://www.jjfpub.mb.ca

My advice, check the site to see what you want, but shop around for better prices in the U.S. Very Best Regards, David

Erich

book.....

Post by Erich » 03 Aug 2002 18:59

Should of been more precise Dan, sorry. JJF publications. .... John Fedorwicz, in Canada. They have a web-page so you should check your engine(s). This book has been promised the last two years. Yes, in English which will be a plus for many. Author is Georg Maier of the 6th SS Panzer army staff. Originaly done I think in 1985 with around 30 detailed maps and over 800 pages. I do not have the book, so maybe someone can correct me on the exact details listed......

This will cover the last battles for 6th SS panzerarmy. Gran-Bridgehead, Operation sring awakening, Hitlers Alpine Redoubt, fighting for Vienna and the Vienna forest, etc.....should be pretty good I believe.

E

Dan W.
Financial supporter

Post by Dan W. » 03 Aug 2002 20:10

David and Erich, thank you both very much for the helpful information.

My question still stands to anyone who has read "Budapest: Stalingrad of the SS" and is interested in giving their opinion.

Thanks,
--D.W. ........... :)

Dan W.
Financial supporter

Post by Dan W. » 03 Aug 2002 20:14

Oh, Cool! I was just awarded a new medal!

I'm right now trying to imagine the heroic action that warranted this impressive piece of hardware. I will wear this proudly.

Thank you Kameraden.... :D

Erich

book sites....

Post by Erich » 03 Aug 2002 21:25

Dan :

I see friend David beat me to the punch on the site listing. He is correct though and I would suggest checking with http://www.angleraybooks.com or http://www.tollehausbooks.com for starts.

E

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 04 Aug 2002 15:08

I have not read it (though I have it on my to-buy-list), but Landwehr is often accused of being pro-nazi (or at least pro-Waffen-SS) so that it is a thing to keep in mind.
Note that I have not read any of his books, I'm just saying that this seem to be the general opinion on his books together with the fact that he covers some almost unkown units and events.

/Marcus

Dan W.
Financial supporter

Post by Dan W. » 04 Aug 2002 15:36

Yes, thanks Marcus, Erich PM'd me the same information. If he has attention to detail and descriptive writing like Paul Carell then I can deal with his lack of objectivity. This book, however, is pricey. And Amazon.com said it may not ship for 4 to 6 weeks. I'm looking around for it elsewhere.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”