Moscow Tram Stop by Dr Heinrich Haape

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
[email protected]

Moscow Tram Stop by Dr Heinrich Haape

Post by [email protected] » 27 Sep 2004, 12:42

This book is written by Dr Heinrich Haape (DHH) in association with Dennis Henshaw.
DHH was a doctor with 3rd Batallion, Inf Reg 18 of the 6th Division in Army Group Centre on the Eastern Front. It tells of his travels to the gates of Moscow before being thrown back by the SU on 5 December 1941.
DHH goes into good details on some of the cases he had to take care of, his relationships with the orderlies, soldiers, officers and Hiwis.
DRR was awarded the Iron Cross, First Class for his defensive efforts in the retreat of 1941/2.
This division actually crossed the Volga north of Moscow in mid October and reached Kalinin. This is one of the best books on the Eastern Front I have ever read, I would recommend it to anyone.
I rate this book 9.5/10. It could have done with a couple of maps.
This book is rare, it is printed by Collins, London. The print date is 1958. If you see a copy I throughly recommend you read it.
Regards from New Zealand
Peter Bickle

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 27 Sep 2004, 18:46

I'll second the recommendation; it's a bugger to find in the UK, even in libraries (I got a copy through the Inter-Library loans service).

It's still in print in Germany as Endstation Moskau by Motorbuchs.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 10 Oct 2004, 12:12

Hi Halder

How much did you pay for the english version. I paid 3 quid! I saw a copy available on a website for 235 pounds! May have gold dust here. Very little refs on Google for the english version. I think english site was something king selling.

Regards
Peter Bickle

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 10 Oct 2004, 17:31

£3??? Bargain. I only borrowed the book on loan from the library. I've never seen a copy in a bookshop - there's no paperback version I know of. The first run is selling on abebooks for £100 minimum!!

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 10 Oct 2004, 22:45

I got a real bargin then, I should become an investor:) in books.

Mak Los Mien Schnitzel

Post by Mak Los Mien Schnitzel » 06 Jan 2005, 00:45

Just picked one up in a Melbourne (Australia) bookshop hard cover first edition (with Jacket) 1957 for AUS$20 or 8 UK pounds.

I am doing an org chart now of all the characters and relationships to "Assistenzaret" Haape as I found the number of people he ran into and dealt with a bit overwhelming at first!

MLMS

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 06 Jan 2005, 03:03

AUD20 with jacket is a real steal, has it still got the price on it?
Could sell for GBP200 if the price is still there.
Anyway, enjoy the read, it is a brilliant book.
Regards from New Zealand
Peter Bickle

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 23 Aug 2005, 12:53

I just got a copy of the book and it looks very promising. Mine is from 1980 and in German. Too bad that it doesn't cover all his wartime experiences, he seemed to have good writing skills.

Best regards/ Daniel

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 25 Aug 2005, 02:12

Hello Daniel
It is a great book imho. Let us know what you thought of it.
Regards
Peter Bickle

chrishope101

Re: Moscow Tram Stop by Dr Heinrich Haape

Post by chrishope101 » 10 Feb 2014, 13:18

Hi guys

I'm after a bit of advice! First post.

I have the original hand-typed manuscript of this book (Moscow Tram Stop by Dr. Heinrich Haape & Dennis Henshaw), its hand bound, typed on right side only and you can still smell the typrewriter ink as you flick through, (I can only assume by Dennis Henshaw the translator?) and was smuggled out of Russia in the early 50's and given to my grandfather as he worked for the Daily Express in London. My mum remembers being 6 years old in Hyde Park and the book being given to my grandad by an unknown man in a trenchcoat. He was told not to let it out of his sight and to discuss it with no-one as people had died to get it to the UK.

Its been in my family since then.

I dont know whether to donate this to a musuem, sell to a collector or just keep it? Its certainly unique, I know the first editions sell for quite a lot and are very rare, but its not about the money obviously!

Any advice much appreciated!
Chris

Carson

Post by Carson » 11 Feb 2014, 17:39

Hi Chris.
Two cents, as an opinion donating the book to your local museum would be splendid as they may even consider an attached plaque exhibited on public display with the background to how this gem came into your possession, alternatively you could consider auctioning it online with the proceeds going directly to a charity of your choice. Fascinating story thank you for sharing!

chrishope101

Post by chrishope101 » 12 Feb 2014, 18:21

Hi Carson, my thoughts are down the museum route too. I've spoken to the Imperial War Musuem and they showed interest so have sent some pictures!

Will post again should they take it for an exhibit
Thanks

Carson

Post by Carson » 14 Feb 2014, 01:01

...... Excellent Chris!

Ken S.

Re: Moscow Tramstop

Post by Ken S. » 14 Sep 2018, 07:56

Richard Hargreaves wrote:
10 Oct 2004, 17:31
£3??? Bargain. I only borrowed the book on loan from the library. I've never seen a copy in a bookshop - there's no paperback version I know of. The first run is selling on abebooks for £100 minimum!!
tramstop.png
tramstop.png (141.31 KiB) Viewed 1576 times

Truckman

Post by Truckman » 14 Sep 2018, 15:08

Chris, I would vote for the museum option also...One-of-a-kind items (and I own a few) could easily be sold to collectors, but somewhere down the line you'll hear of it resold for multiples of what you got and you'll kick yourself from now on...I also own one of those hand-typed, leatherette-bound originals, but of a book that was never widely published...And since it only traces the history of my own family back a few hundred years, there is almost no interest from others...

But I continue to refer to it in research for my own books, and I will pass it down to my heirs...I think in your case, the pride in your heirs of being able to point to an item in the Imperial War Museum as being connected to you would be a lot more valuable than whatever you could buy with the money if you sold it... :thumbsup: ...Ben

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”