Luftwaffe Colours

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Marcus

Luftwaffe Colours

Post by Marcus » 17 Aug 2002, 18:44

(click the cover)

Has anyone of you read or can comment on "Luftwaffe Colours, 1935-1945" by Michael Ullmann?

It sounds promising but I'd like to hear more opinions on it.
This definitive study of Luftwaffe camouflage and markings establishes links between standard RAL colors and those adopted for wartime use by the German Air Ministry. Includes real paint chips made by the same company that produces the official RAL charts. Hundreds of photos illustrate the patterns and variations as used in the field, along with new color reproductions.
(from Amazon)

/Marcus

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 21 Aug 2002, 16:59

Martin

I got it but much is written specs/orders regarding painting. Good for a model builder I guess but to dry for me, I'd rather see more photos. Pic quality is very good.

Mark

Erich

Colour charts.....

Post by Erich » 21 Aug 2002, 21:02

Marcus, I received an colour chip chart from Michael Ullmann two years ago before this book was published, and he still is researching. Would prefer personally the colour chip poster from Eagle-editions/ Jerry Crandall. There is always a big probelm with the 1944-45 colour RLM 76 which can go from sky blue to almost a white-grey depending on time and a/c plus theater of ops. Monogram Pubs was also going to release a new colour chart as well but have heard nothing more....

E

Matt Gibbs

Colour charts

Post by Matt Gibbs » 07 Sep 2002, 00:10

Does anyone rate a book I have been given, I would be interested because it was an early attempt at a colour reference. Its called:
The Modeller's Luftwaffe Painting Guide with colour chart
It was a suppliment to the Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings Vol 1,2 & 3 by JR Smith GG Pentland and RP Lutz. Mine has the chart which it says was what made the book so expensive getting it right. Any clue anyone..?
Regards
Matt Gibbs

Erich

Colour references.....

Post by Erich » 07 Sep 2002, 00:35

Matt :

Though I cannot give you particulars I do know RP Lutz first hand and would assume Richard was gracious enough to lend a hand in the photos in the book. What is the date of publication if I may ask ?
There will never be a definitive book on the colours subject. Luftwaffe camo was so vast and changed especially from late 44 towards the end that RLM 76 went through at least 6 different colourations of blue; from almost sky to almost white and everything in between......and this is just one RLM colour. RLM 81 is naother and the green-violets with all the ranges also in between for late war a/c.

E

Matt Gibbs

The book

Post by Matt Gibbs » 08 Sep 2002, 15:38

Hello;
The book is an old Kookaburra publication form the dawn of time of interest in the luftwaffe! The series of 3 books plus the 4th 'bonus' painting guide was done in the 70's. I only have vol3 and the painting guide so far. The 3rd vol was pub. in 1977 [I was 5 years old then!] and the guide in 1979. The colour chart is nocely done on A4 seperate to the book and has 30 colors on it. There is a note at the bottom thus:-

"It is regretted that the price of this book could not be reduced as the color chart alone cost nearly half as much to produce as the book itself. Thirty special color mixings were needed plus thirty seperate applications on the one sheet. Hopefully the discriminating reader will not mind paying a little more for what is now a lasting and very precise reference - store away from light"

That says it all really. I understand from a book dealer this is quite a hard volume to turn up nowadays, nice to hear you know 'von Lutz'

Regards
Matt Gibbs

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”