Stalin's secret plans

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Starinov

Stalin's secret plans

Post by Starinov » 20 Aug 2002, 22:25

I just finished reading this book by a Russian author. It is called "Sindrom nastupatel§noæi voæiny : sovetskaëiìa propaganda v preddverii "svëiìashchennykh boev," 1939-1941 gg". I don't think it is available in english yet (even if you can buy it on amazon.com) but its title should be "Soviet Propaganda on the eve of War with the Third Reich, 1939-1941.

It is mainly about how the soviet propaganda apparatus during the period of 1939-1941 and how it evolved during that period. The book reveals how the propaganda changed in spring 1941 to be offensively anti-german. It is also availabale in Polish and is really worth-reading. I translated the back-cover info so you could get first glance on it.

----------------
Vladimir A. Nieviezhin (born in 1954) completed his studies at the Institute of the Historic Archives of Moscow in 1984 ( MGIAI). He works since then at the Historic institute of the Academy of Science in Moscow. Author of more than 60 scientific publications, he took part in numerous international conferences. He is considered today as being one of the best connaisseurs of the Soviet propaganda device of Stalinist period.

This book is one of the biggest achievement of the Russian historiography of the last years. It is a step forward in the field of the Soviet - German relations of the years 1939-1941 and of the genesis of the German attack against the Soviet Union in 1941. After the discussions that the books of V. Suvorov provoked, some years ago, we obtain finally a real scientific analysis of the activities of the apparatus of Soviet propaganda during the period of cooperation, on the international arena, between Nazi Germany and Soviet Union.

Nieviezhin has a very critical approach as for thesis of Suvorov but his exhaustive analysis of sources allows no doubt and bases itself on the experience of a professional historian. Nieviezhin uses an impressive base of various sources, informing in a convincing way, that the alliance with Hitler was considered by the Soviet propaganda as an ideological abnormality and what in spring, 1941 a process started aiming to create an offensive anti-German rétorique.
----------

Reigo

Post by Reigo » 21 Aug 2002, 17:55

If they have translated Nieviezhin then I bet they translate also Meltiukhov soon into Polish.

Rgds,

Starinov

Post by Starinov » 22 Aug 2002, 14:22

Reigo wrote:If they have translated Nieviezhin then I bet they translate also Meltiukhov soon into Polish.

Rgds,
Probably.

I am waiting for that one.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”