Book Review Time!

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
sniper1shot

Book Review Time!

Post by sniper1shot » 16 Dec 2004 02:16

Title: The Waffen SS at War-Hitler's Praetorians 1925-1945
Author: Tim Ripley
ISBN: 0-7603-2068-3
Publisher: Zenith Press
Review: 4 out of 5

Ok, I know I have been gone for a bit but I have been reading eh. I would like to think my reviews are helping someone.
This book is large, 352 pages w/ only the last 15 pages as biblio and appendex etc. The book has maps spread out through out the whole book to show how certain actions went or were planned. There are also many photos, not seen by me before, spread through out the book too.
Chapters cover everything from the beginning to the very bitter end. Each chapter covers all the SS Divisions, or SS units that were involved in that particular action. Chapters also cover the forming of the Divisions or why certain Divisions didn't fully form.
I only gave it a 4 out of 5 as I wasn't particularly happy with the authors last 2 chapters. As this book was supposed to neutral, he does go to mention certain leaders of the SS "mad" or worse.....(I didn't write the pages down)
As for the atrocities, only the major ones that many ppl are well aware of are mentioned though the author mentions, many times over, how the SS commited so many that the SS are tained for life.......I can't recall how many times he mentions the Red Armies atrocities.....0 manybe ?
He does describe the SS Divisions many great victories against overwhelming odds and their utter loyalty to the Third Reich.
This book is Recommended for the person wanting to know where a particular SS unit fought/was formed/ surrendered etc, but it does NOT focus on one particular unit or go into depth how they fought or their tactics. Though, the book does describe the tactics that were used.
If anyone wants to know anything more plse feel free to email me.

General

Post by General » 16 Dec 2004 19:23

Maybe you can write a review for the website, have a look in this topic:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=54970

(Or: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0 )

sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot » 17 Dec 2004 01:27

I was just looking for a quick forum like in Feldgrau labeled "Books" and that is where I would post. Not searching everywhere. Marcus said to post in the Reference Material and take it from there. Personally, I will post them where ever I am told too.
Let me know, as I searched the two threads you sent me and it seems it hit 3 pages with still not much sorted out............

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”