Books published by members

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Charles Trang

Re: Books published by members

Post by Charles Trang » 19 Feb 2015, 17:43

The second volume of "Wiking" has been released in January. This volume covers the period running from May 1942 to April 1943. This is a big volume with 464 pages in size A4 with about 600 photos and documents (among them, 30 original maps from the German archives). Included are two extensive command structures (Führerstellenbesetzungsliste) for 1 July 1942 and 1 January 1943 down to company and staff levels (Kdr, Adjutant, Ord.Offz., Nachr.Offz., IVa, IVb, TFK, TFW). Number of available tanks and tank destroyers are given for a great number of days (nearly each day when the division was attached to LII.AK).
Wiking 2.jpg
Wiking 2.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 5338 times

Jayslater

Post by Jayslater » 23 Mar 2015, 15:44

Greetings,

If you should have a book idea for your project to benefit from professional publishing and marketing throughout the UK and US, please do send me a line as I am always on the lookout for new and established authors.

With very best wishes,

Jay
j.slater (at) fonthillmedia.com

peter2010

Post by peter2010 » 29 Mar 2015, 10:29

My upcoming book "Nanjing 1937: Battle for a Doomed City" http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 9&t=214719

Jeremy Dixon

Post by Jeremy Dixon » 06 Apr 2015, 10:49

My new book on The Knight's Cross Holders of the Fallschirmjäger is out in July 2015, from Schiffer

----

Knight’s Cross Holders of the Fallschirmjäger by Jeremy Dixon
Attachments
V1_KnightsCross_CVR%20-%20Copy.jpg
V1_KnightsCross_CVR%20-%20Copy.jpg (57.13 KiB) Viewed 5083 times

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 07 Apr 2015, 01:51

Great news Jeremy, I already preordered my copy!

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 13 Apr 2015, 18:56

April 2015.
Attachments
Miller Books.jpg
Miller Books.jpg (112.08 KiB) Viewed 4986 times

coburg22

Post by coburg22 » 27 May 2015, 17:52

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading "Leaders of the SS and German Police Vol II" by Michael and Andreas!! Even though I already have the series written in German, it still makes a great addition to the library for those of us who can't speak German on a first hand basis but only understand the basics regarding awards, posts, promotions ect... I also like the fact that they are taking the time to create other books in English such as the Gauleiter and SA Leader series, something that is long overdue!! While the Germans have always had the very best reference books available, they are very expensive and go out of circulation rather quickly. With these books being compiled and published in the United States, it makes them more affordable, more obtainable and of course easier to read. While Bender was the pioneer of excellent reference books written in English, these concepts have have also caught on well with Fedorowicz, Schiffer and Stackpole books! Kuddos to Mike and Andreas for another great book and many more to come!!

James

Jeremy Dixon

Post by Jeremy Dixon » 27 May 2015, 17:56

I must agree with the above....great books...keep it up Mike

William Kramer
Host - Militaria sections

Leaders of the SS and German Police by Michael D. Miller

Post by William Kramer » 11 Jun 2015, 20:21

Hello all,

Last night I was cruising Netflix and decided to watch the BBC series on Auschwitz. I'll be the first to admit that I'm an absolute nut when it comes to anything WW2 related, and all too often I'll plug something into Wikipedia and find myself four hours later completely enthralled and still clicking away. Considering it's all a true story, it is just fascinating.

It's humbling to watch shows like this, and to truly appreciate your freedom and maybe in a sense even understand it better. I constantly try to remind myself how lucky I truly am, and in a way I guess my collection helps me to remember. These small trinkets I have accumulated over the years may not have actually done anything to harm anyone in particular, but they represent the perpetrators that did.

I collect for the history, I could care less about makers. To me, when I'm purchasing something I'm buying what it represents and for historical significance; I also like the salty stuff, I usually pass along the mint stuff that wasn't issued and never left the depot. I never understood collectors with 95 Iron Crosses, but to each their own and I guess I can appreciate the rarity of some variants and things like that. I sell the extras that I don't want to fund the addiction of buying more. I've also never been able to understand how somebody can collect Third Reich related material, but strictly "Wehrmacht" and won't have anything to do with that party stuff. In my opinion, it's all the same and you can't have one without the other. To say the Wehrmacht wasn't involved with war crimes to some degree would be an outright lie and the Heer witnessed atrocities in the East constantly. Maybe if you consider yourself a "military" collector and not a Third Reich collector you sleep better at night with the concept of "out of sight, out of mind" coming into effect.

With all of this being said, I have an entire library of books related to the hobby, from awards/insignia to heargear and uniforms, etc. but I also have military vehicle identification books, personal accounts recorded many years after the cease-fire, and of course books on the Holocaust. I recently picked up both volumes I and II of Michael Miller's Leaders of the SS and German Police and I will blatantly admit I can't wait for more to come out.

Every now and again I'll hear a name associated with some aspect of the war and I just can't recall exactly what that person did or where they operated. It's nice to have a quick reference that's so nicely organized alphabetically to just pull out when need be. It is also very nice to put a face to the name. I know it may sound childish, but I like the fact that this isn't just an overload of text and I can see clear period photos of the guys that represent a very, very dark time in human history. These books are essential to any personal library in my opinion and do a great job informing who these heinous individuals were exactly. Summarizes who they were and what they did but also goes into detail providing promotion dates, awards/decorations, and important posts held within the system.

I've got his Gauleiter book as well (The Regional Leaders of the Nazi Party and their Deputies, 1925-1945) and it's the same basic concept though focused on a different organization. I will say the party book is more in-depth than the SS version but really only because there were so many different personalities within the SS to cover. Michael Miller also has another book coming out shortly titled the Leaders of the Storm Troops: Volume 1 SA-Führer, SA-Stabschef and SA-Obergruppenführer and I plan to pick this up immediately as a solid reference.

I think all too often we as collectors forget how terrifying the Nazis truly were, and these books help to remind of us of that; the truth. Anyways I just thought I'd share with everybody. I highly recommend picking up a copy (even if you only look at the pictures and don't read them)

William Kramer
Attachments
IMG_3756.JPG
IMG_3759.JPG

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 19 Jun 2015, 00:22

Belated thanks to all of my many readers (three or four of them, apparently).

But seriously and belatedly, thanks very much for writing that review, William. I'm honored.

The excellent staff of Helion & Co. have sent Leaders of the Storm Troops, Volume I to the printers (http://www.helion.co.uk/published-by...uhrer-b-j.html ; page count is actually 648 pages, not 416 as indicated at the link, and there are a lot more than 453 photos).

Knight's Cross Holders of the SS & German Police, Volume I (http://www.helion.co.uk/knight-s-cro...rdelbrink.html ) will be headed the same route shortly (and please, to those who've criticized that undertaking for a variety of reasons and for a number of years, I've already heard it again and again before; don't like / don't buy).

And Roger Bender has tentatively assured me that Gauleiter, Volume II will be done this year.

~ Mike

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 19 Jun 2015, 18:33

Mike:

Ignore the naysayers. Your books are fantastic and I and many others look forward to ALL your releases. For others on here, I was given the great opportunity to view a draft of the SA Leaders book and I can say it is just as great or better than the two SS Leaders books that you have published thus far. And I too look forward to your KC book as well. We can't get enough of your work. Keep up the great work. We appreciate all your efforts!!

Mark Costa

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 23 Jun 2015, 15:25

Probably the kindest words ever written about my work, Mark.
Thank you so much.

Your friend,
~ Mike

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 24 Jun 2015, 17:18

Small correction to Helion's ad for Leaders of the Storm Troops, Volume I at http://www.helion.co.uk/catalogsearch/a ... her=&isbn= .

648 pages (vs. 416)
514 photos (vs. 453)

~ Mike

:D

sdmahaneysc

Post by sdmahaneysc » 25 Jun 2015, 18:56

Hello again, everyone.

X-Day: Japan, a journalist's view of the invasion of southern Japan, will show up in all the usual retail sites very soon.
Before the official launch I want to offer something people at all the forums which were helpful during production.

Get the e-book for 99 cents at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/553709, enter coupon code BG88F for $3.00 off.
Get the print book for $7.99 at https://www.createspace.com/5425704, use code B7LPRXRE for $6.00 off.

The official preview, which is a fuller sample than just the first portion of the book, can be had directly from http://www.xdayjapan.com.

Thanks again!
www.xdayjapan.com - Front Line Reporting at the Greatest Invasion and the Dawn of Nuclear Warfare

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 26 Jun 2015, 01:50

Well done Shawn

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”