Armee unter dem Roten Stern

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Ken McCanliss

Armee unter dem Roten Stern

Post by Ken McCanliss » 02 Sep 2002, 18:37

For anyone interested in the organization of the Soviet Army and it's Marshals and Generals in WWII, this book is a "must have".

Book details:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BookDet ... i=77127119

As with all books published by Biblio Verlag, it is rather expensive at 92.10 Euros, but well worth the investment.

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Hi Ken!

Post by David C. Clarke » 02 Sep 2002, 21:13

Hey Ken, you know you have a bunch of admirers over at Feldgrau!
Did you purchase this book? Does it have any information in it on the 2nd Guards Tank Corps? Best Regards, David :D

Ken McCanliss

book

Post by Ken McCanliss » 03 Sep 2002, 05:16

Hi David,

Indeed it has been a while since I've posted at Feldgrau. Unfortunately, I'm using a WebTV system, with which I was unable to make posts, due to the fact that Jason had blocked all WebTV users in an attempt to ban one particularily abusive individual.

I first saw the subject book last month at the Stanford University Library, and have since placed an order for same. When it arrives, I can answer your questions in the "Enemies of the Third Reich" forum. Is there anything in particular you would like to know about that unit?

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Hi Ken!

Post by David C. Clarke » 03 Sep 2002, 17:36

Hi Ken, yes I remember that unfortunate experience on Feldgrau. I'm sorry for the negative effect it had on you.
But very good people, as I recall, were saying very good things about you and I thought it was the consideration of your contribution that made the decision so painstaking for Jason. That is, I recall that the ultimate decision was the result of literally months of on and off debate. I'm very glad to see you here at TRF though!
On the immediate subject, my interest in 2nd Guards Tank Corps is probably a result of my frustration at tracking this unit and getting verifiable information on its command structure. 24th Tank Corps became 2nd Guards Tank Corps
during the Soviet "Little Saturn" offensive after the encirclement of 6th Army at Stalingrad. While I have the name of the immediate commander during the offensive and the name of the commander that replaced him, I'm looking for any information that might fill in the Command structure of this Corps for the rest of the war.
The 2nd Guards was one of those Tank Corps that pops up in major offensives, suffers heavily, then pops up again for the next go round.
Of coure I would absolutely appreciate any help with this. My German language skills are minimal, but if the book does contain substantial information (on the level of, say, Sharpe's multi-volume Soviet OOB booklets) I would be tempted to purchase it anyway.
Very Best Regards, David :D

Ken McCanliss

2nd Guards Tank Corps

Post by Ken McCanliss » 04 Sep 2002, 07:32

David -

Thanks for the kind remarks!

If you will send me your address via private message, I will send you Xerox copies from the subject book on all references to the 2nd Guards Tank Corps. That way you can judge for yourself whether or not you wish to purchase the book. I have it on order and it should arrive (hopefully) by the end of the week.

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Wow, Thanks!

Post by David C. Clarke » 04 Sep 2002, 16:23

Hi Ken, much appreciated!! You can't gue how much my
poor little budget suffers from making "blind" purchases. usually they work out fine, but every now and then--Ouch!
I'll send you a Private Message with my address. Best Regards, David

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”