Hell's gate by Douglas E. Nash-need information

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Daniel L

Hell's gate by Douglas E. Nash-need information

Post by Daniel L » 09 Sep 2002, 15:46

I'm planing to buy this book but I don't know much how it looks inside. Is there a lot of pictures (alot as atleast one in each page)? Are there diagrams, personal accounts etc. Thanks to anyone who can help me out on this!

David C. Clarke

Hell's Gate

Post by David C. Clarke » 09 Sep 2002, 16:44

Hi Charlie Don't Surf! Buy the book, you won't be disappointed. Doug found some new photos, including photos taken inside the cauldron. The style of the book is similar to (but better, IMHO) Nipe's "Last Victory in Russia" and it reads like a Day by Day account relying heavily on personal stories. (Doug apparently got real tight with vets of the 5th SS, "Viking" Division.) It's a large book, printed on good paper but the best part is the narrative. I think it's the best Ostfront book in a couple of years. The account of Bake's unit's offensive towards the pocket was also very impressive as you don't generally get to read about Panther tank actions during this time period. If you buy the book and don't like it, heck, I'll buy it off you!
Best Regards, David :D :D :D

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 09 Sep 2002, 16:53

thanks, I think it'll be included in my next list of buyings together with some concord publ. book (perhaps the new one about the G.I.) and sherman in action. Or do you know any better book about the Sherman?

David C. Clarke

Hi!

Post by David C. Clarke » 09 Sep 2002, 18:33

Hi Charlie Don't Surf, I'm not much of a Sherman fan--I prefer the M-26 or M-18--but the two Concord Shermans are supposed to be pretty good. I have the first one and I like it. Sherman lovers will tell you that the best book is Hunnicutt's "Sherman" but it is very expensive and I believe it is out of print again. I can't think of any other book at the moment that I would recommend. Best Regards, David :D

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 09 Sep 2002, 19:32

I have also wondered should i buy that book.

It is d... expensive, but most who have read it say that it is worth the price.

David C. Clarke

Hi Mark V

Post by David C. Clarke » 09 Sep 2002, 21:59

Hi Mark V, well, it is probably the only comprehensive study of the vehicle.
We're really lucky when it comes to German AFVs--I mean, how many good books on the Panther or Tiger are there? But when it comes to American tanks, Hunnicutt's written nearly the only quality books around, even though some of his ten books are better than others. Best Regards, David :D

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 21 Sep 2002, 16:23

Buy it Charlie, buy it, excellent work. Nash has an eye for detail not matched on this subject

:D Andy from the Shire

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”