Orders and Medals of Japan and Associated States

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Marcus

Orders and Medals of Japan and Associated States

Post by Marcus » 28 Mar 2002, 21:16

Has anyone read or can comment on "Orders and Medals of Japan and Associated States" by James W. Peterson?

I have no material on the Japanese awards so this may be the reference book I need, but I'd like to hear your comments on it.

/Marcus

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

JAPANESE MEDALS BOOK BY THE LATE JAMES W. PETERSON

Post by WCSTUMP » 28 Mar 2002, 22:04

I once collected the Orders and Medals of the Empire of Japan. I knew the Late James W. Peterson when, in 1967, he produced for the Orders and Medals Society of America his "Monogram No. 1" on the subject. I was at that time the proud owner of the Order of the Rising Sun Grand Cordon presented to the German Foreign Minister J. von Ribbentrop. It was one of many state orders bestowed upon Ribbentrop. At the time, Mr. Peterson was THE authority on the orders and medals of the Empire of Japan. His work, now in the 3rd printing is the most compressive study in English on this subject. Regretfully, his book was printed in black and white and doesn't show the true beauty of these great works of art. I have a color photograph of Ribbentrop's as well as the other state orders he had.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 28 Mar 2002, 22:06

William,

Thanks for those comments, the book sounds very promising despite being in black and white.

/Marcus

WCSTUMP
In memoriam

BEST ON THE SUBJECT

Post by WCSTUMP » 28 Mar 2002, 22:11

It is the best available in the English language.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 06 Apr 2002, 00:25

From viewing dealer sites and e-bay it seems certain medals are still made in Japan from the WWII period, I assume to give to vets or their families. Is there any trick to ID the difference, one person told me the boxes are being made as well for some.

Best
Mark

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 06 Apr 2002, 22:58

Even though this is the Third Reich Forum, we may be well to add a new catagory on the awards of Japan. They did have a direct connection in some instances to the Third Reich.

KILROY [retired] WAS HERE

EXPERTS: THOSE WONDERFUL CREATURES WITH THEIR HEADS STUCK IN THE SANDS OF TIME... CHASING WINDMILLS

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 06 Apr 2002, 23:03

Germany's allies are on topic in this forum already, so feel free to discuss Japanese awards.

/Marcus

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”