Book Review: An Infantryman in Stalingrad

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
sniper1shot

Book Review: An Infantryman in Stalingrad

Post by sniper1shot » 04 Jul 2005, 22:41

Title: An Infantryman in Stalingrad
Author: Adelbert Holl
Publisher: Leaping Horseman Books
ISBN: 0-9751076-1-5 (Hardcover)
0-9751076-2-3 (Paperback)
Stars: 5
(out of 5)

Well, I ordered this book right from the publisher on his site.
This book is a translation from the German copy, and was done really well as it flowed with no problems.
I found this book excellant with pictures and maps. The publisher has air shots of the city and has super-impossed lines/boundaries where the author was. I found this to make the story really easy and INTERESTING to follow. When the author describes a certain building ie" the transformer" there is air shots with the transformer in them and you are able to see what the author saw. Nicely done with photos of other commanders and vehicles though there isn't a lot of them. In no way does this detract from the book.
If the author talks about a certain soldier, the publisher has researched them and gives the dates of birth and fate ie: died in Stalingrad or survived the war etc. I found this also informative though the author made a few mistakes with names.....
The only part that was sort of repeated was the author continuously repeating that they were doing their job. The battle descriptions are also very well described and you can feel yourself in the battle or in the cold bunker with him.
The book ends with the author waiting to surrender and I found myself wanting to know more about his survival in the POW camps and the end of war. Instead of fighting it out to the last bullet he decides to go back to the wounded after he finds out they are to be left to their fate.
HIGHLY recommended !!!! and I am patiently waiting for his next book

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”