German divisional histories - quality and availability

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Jan-Hendrik

Re: German divisional histories - quality and availability

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 02 Oct 2008, 08:24

10th PD I have already :D :P

Jan-Hendrik

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 02 Oct 2008, 09:35

Is that the JJF one with lots of pictures?

I have the 21 Pz one by Heimdal - very good, lots of words and images, although it focuses mainly on Africa particularly, then Normandy.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 02 Oct 2008, 09:42

10th PD by Schick is one of the pearls of diviional histories with 670 pages 8-)

21.PD? We were talking about the Vol. by WernerKortenhaus which only covers 1943-1945 :D

Jan-Hendrik

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 02 Oct 2008, 10:29

Ah, there's also a very good Heimdal volume, heavily illustrated, on the 21 Pz. I fear it's probably out of print and very expensive now. :(

Kortenhaus' book is excellent, particularly for Normandy. Wish I had it when I wrote my book. Good job I'm re-writing it one day. :)

trollelite

Post by trollelite » 04 Oct 2008, 06:06

It seems some of Nebel titles are ongoing 50% price off. Only some of the whole lot for now, however I expect others would follow the suit quickly. After price reducing those books are expected to be sold out in one year, from my experience. Pity, they may never print more titles on this thema.

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 11 Oct 2008, 13:17

Generalleutnant Anton Detlev von Plato, Die Geschichte der 5 Panzerdivision 1938 bis 1945, privately published, 1978

Having paid a small fortune for this (well over 100 Euros) I was a little nervous. I need not have been. This is a 500-page, large format Meisterwerk. Plato uses his expertise as a senior officer to give gravitas to the very detailed narrative. He has also, however, included many, many first-hand accounts, diaries and letters - and many from the ranks (divisional histories are notoriously officer-heavy...) Plato covers the Polish campaign, a sizeable section on the French campaign in Rommel's shadow (im Schatten Rommels), provides some good accounts from the Balkan campaign, before devoting more than 250 pages to the Ostfront. The book is profusely illustrated (although the images are scattered throughout the text and rather small), and there many excellent maps.

This is a book which comes up on eBay, albeit rarely, so there are copies out there. It is well worth investing in, providing you do not mind your wallet taking a heavy hit.

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 13 Nov 2008, 20:17

Hans Schäufler, So lebten und so starben sie: Das Buch vom Panzerregiment 35, Eigenverlag, 2nd edition, 1983

Not so much a unit history as a unit anthology. Being a big fan of Schäufler's two other books, 1945: Panzer an der Weichsel. Soldaten der letzten Stunde and Der Weg War Weit, I've been eager to get my hands on his much rarer history of the regiment. You will be very lucky to find a copy out there for under £100, which is a real shame because it's an absolute gem of a book. Page after page of first-hand accounts, battle reports, letter, diaries from the first day of the war to the very last which you won't find in many (or in most cases any) other books. To his enormous credit, Schäufler collected accounts from all ranks from Heinrich Eberbach down to Gefreiter and Obergefreiter, PK reporters, plus a smattering of newspaper cuttings, orders and the like. There must be upwards of 100 different accounts of the unit's actions. It is a far, far more interesting read than the history of its parent unit, 4 Panzer Division. If you can afford it, or you spot a copy on sale for under £100, buy it.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 14 Nov 2008, 08:10

Yeah, Schäufler and Neumann together are a good companion to understand the history of this elite Division (yes, I use this word specially here, this is one of the PD's that deserve this prefix!).

Jan-Hendrik

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 14 Nov 2008, 10:12

I think that sums it up perfectly: Naumann for the facts and day-to-day events, Schäufler for the human experience. They complement each other very well.

Urmel

Post by Urmel » 27 Dec 2008, 17:16

Received the 1st edition of Stoves "1.Panzerdivision" in very good condition, as well as the Bildband in hardcover as gifts for Christmas from a friend (no, I won't share him, he's my friend, and obviously a very good one too). Very nice, especially since the main volume was a gift from the Kameradschaftsbund to the commander of a Bundeswehr Panzerbrigade stationed in my birthplace. (a special card is inserted in the front of the book)
The enemy had superiority in numbers, his tanks were more heavily armoured, they had larger calibre guns with nearly twice the effective range of ours, and their telescopes were superior. 5 RTR 19/11/41

The CRUSADER Project - The Winter Battle 1941/42

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 12 Jan 2009, 12:45

Received finally Trang's La Division Florian Geyer , along with Hans-Otto Wachter's Als die Feuer brannten :D

I must admit I am positivly surprised on Charles' work, a pity that Heimdal seems not be interestet in further Editions...Yeah, I know, Leibstandarte makes more money, evenb if the market is already overblown...

On Mr. Wachter's book no comment is neccessary, really fine work, as usual 8-)

Jan-Hendrik

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 05 Feb 2009, 10:27

Well, got a copy of Yerger's Rding East, and ,after first glance into it, it seems to be a good one. Many pictures of the acting officers, but not much on the Kavallerie itself (Trang and Wachter are much better investition if you are looking for pics of SS Kavallerie :D ). By the way, if anyone is looking for 1st class colour pictures of SS Kavallerie, the Sonderheft VIII Erinnerungen an die letzten Stunden in Budapest und der Weg nach Sibirien by Mr.Wachter contains some pages of astonishing good ones from Hungary 1944! 8-)

Still waiting for my copy of Franz Schreiber's KAMPF UNTER DEM NORDLICHT- Die Geschichte der 6. SS-Gebirgsdivision „Nord“ to arrive...

Jan-Hednrik

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 10 Feb 2009, 11:15

Still waiting for my copy of Franz Schreiber's KAMPF UNTER DEM NORDLICHT- Die Geschichte der 6. SS-Gebirgsdivision „Nord“ to arrive...
Finally arrived :D A usual kind of divisional history written by a Generalstabsoffizier :D :D

Much use of KTBs and divisional reports, tons of facts, all in good Munin quality...that's the way I like it :D :D

Jan-Hendrik

trollelite

Post by trollelite » 22 Feb 2009, 22:46

Habe gerade das Buch Kampf.u.Untergang. der 95 Infanteriedivision empfängt.

Pro:

1. Umfangreiche Divisionsgeschichte basiert auf KTB u. Tagesmeldung.
2.Guter Papier Qualität, viele besser als Gerümpel von Nebel...
3.Gute Bildteile

Neg:

1.Wenig personal erfahrungsbericht
2. Nur Kopie der BA/MA karten (bzw. Lageskizzen) mit schlecht Qualität zur Verfügung.

In einen Satz, beide Stärken u. Schwächen stammen aus die Tatsache, dass dieses Buch hauptsächlich mit Hilfe der BA/MA Unterlagen verfasst wird.

trollelite

Post by trollelite » 22 Feb 2009, 22:48

Still, I recommend that book, as well as most books from Fleichsig Verlag, just remember avoid Kurowski books! (except for 3 titles, tiger, stug, and Panzerkorps HG)

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”