Quarrie

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Ezboard

Quarrie

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 13:24

August
Unregistered User
(6/18/00 12:48:52 pm)
Reply Quarrie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bruce Quarrie seems to have written quite a few books on the Waffen-SS.
What do you think of his books?
Is he one of the leading experts on the subject?

Richard Murphy
Unregistered User
(6/18/00 4:14:05 pm)
Reply Er, No!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
August,
With no offence intended to Bruce at all, the three books his is best known for (Hitlers' Samurai. Hitlers' Teutonic Knights and Weopons of the Waffen-SS.) are mediocre quality picture books (And even then, the captioning is poor.) which have been superceded by many works over the years. His Encyclopeadia of the German Army in the 20th Century is good though, and if you talk to him, don't mention flamethrowers!!

Regards

RFM

Marcus Wendel
Administrator
(6/18/00 9:56:10 pm)
Reply Re: Er, No!
Flamethrowers ??

/Marcus

Richard Murphy
Unregistered User
(6/19/00 9:33:40 pm)
Reply Yes, Flamethrowers!
Many years ago Bruce wrote a rather good wargames column in Militay Modelling and revealed his aversion to these "barbaric" weapons during one of his battle reports. He also refers to his personal "pet hate" in his encyclopedia.

All the very best to Bruce (Where art thou?)

RFM

Paul Timms
Unregistered User
(6/19/00 9:52:05 pm)
Reply Flamethrowers
In a war of unparalleled barbarity i do find the flamethrower chilling !!!
I know my Grand father hated them, and as far as i know he was never on the receiving end.

Paul

Marcus Wendel
Administrator
(6/19/00 9:59:12 pm)
Reply Re: Flamethrowers
Yes indeed, flamethrowers are nasty (to say the least), but what I find most barbaric is deliberate bombing of civilian targets (most famous being Dresden) and of course the nuclear bomb.

/Marcus

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”