Hans von Luck (Panzer Commander)

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Ezboard

Hans von Luck (Panzer Commander)

Post by Ezboard » 29 Sep 2002, 20:15

drgonzojr
(4/2/01 5:51:01 am)
Reply Hans von Luck (Panzer Commander)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey gang,

Has anyone read "Panzer Commander" by
Hans von Luck? If there are any out
there who have, I'd love to chat w/you
about the book and some items of note in
it. Hans really had a lot to say that
was quite interesting.

drgonzojr

Rudi Weiler
Visitor
(4/3/01 5:02:27 am)
Reply Hans von Luck
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hallo drgonzojr,

Have HvL,s book, read it some time ago, and would recommend it highly.

Regards,

Rudi Weiler

IronPirate
(4/3/01 3:17:23 pm)
Reply re
Yes, I'd recommend it to all.

Richard Murphy
(4/3/01 8:19:09 pm)
Reply Panzer Commander

I got a copy last year and found it a good read, with some interesting revelations. A bit dodgy on technical details, but, all in all, recommended.

Rich

drgonzojr
(4/3/01 9:46:57 pm)
Reply Re: Panzer Commander

Richard,

Just for curiosity's sake I feel the
need to ask you what details HvL was
dodgy on, so I can go back and review
that section of the book. Thanks!

drgonzojr

Richard Murphy
(4/4/01 12:29:39 am)
Reply Pretty minor stuff. Really!
I would have thought that with all his experience von Luck would have known darned well that the Germans did not have a "three axled aroured scout car and 3.8cm gun" which he says his unit was equipped with when Rommel took over in February 1940. He also says they received the Pz. III and IV BEFORE the French campaign, but the future "Desert Fox" complained bitterly because he had no III's (They were still equipped with 91 Pz. 38(t)'s on the eve of "Fall Gelb" and only had 24 Pz. IV's.

Little details like that irk me somewhat (Yes, I know it's being picky!!), Just ask Charles Whiting!!

Still a good book though (I also recommen Dönitz's.)

Regards,

Rich

drgonzojr
(4/4/01 3:39:37 am)
Reply Re: Panzer Commander

Rich,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll start checking,
I thought that they did have PzKW III's for
the French romp. Not too sure about the IV's
though. Had missed that detail... you've got
a keen eye.

Han's human touch was really powerful. I love
the bits about the Russian lt. who prevents his
men from taking his medals as he's a 'hero', and
all the stories of work camp in Georgia. It's
a wonderful balance to the blood, mud, and smoke;
don't you think?

What of Doenitz's book? I haven't read it yet.

drgonzojr

Richard Murphy
(4/4/01 7:42:55 pm)
Reply Von Luck and Dönitz's memoirs
drgonzogr,
All in all, yes, I agree "Panzer Commander" is a worthy read (Though I found the Labour Camp bit rather heavy going and a little superfluous.).
BTW I got the 7th Pz. armour figures from George Nafzigers excellent works, but I am certain that they didn't receive PZ. III's until after the fall of France (Rommel comments on it in "The Rommel Papers" and Irving also mentions it in "Trail of the Fox".)

I was pleasently surprised by Dönitz's "Ten Years and Twenty Days", VERY well written, a good amount of detail, and not too much of the "it was a Hitler's fault" that permeates most of the memoirs I've read. His account of the last weeks of the war (The mental picture of him giving an interview to Reich-Heine (Himmler) with a pistol with the safety off hidden under some papers made me smile!!) is particularly illuminating.

Regards,

Rich

IronPirate
(4/4/01 7:47:55 pm)
Reply Donitz
Hey Richard, I haven't read Donitz's book yet. Does it cover any of his Early years in the navy, WWI, or between years? I'm looking fwd to reading it. Just a little curious.

Richard Murphy
(4/4/01 11:31:44 pm)
Reply A bit!
Hi Ironpirate,
He gives a small amount of infomation about his pre-war years, but not much detail. He does, however, give a good impression of the reaction, by him (And, I believe, the German Military and public in general.) to the rise of Hitler.

Enjoy!!

Rich

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”