Question's regarding "Stalingrad, Memories and Reassesm

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Richard Murphy

Question's regarding "Stalingrad, Memories and Reassesm

Post by Richard Murphy » 01 Apr 2002, 21:43

Evening all,

I have had this book, by Joachim Wieder and Heinrich, Graf von Einsiedel for some time, but my studies of the career of Walter von Seydlitz-Kurzbach have drawn me into reading it in more depth.

The book repeatedly refers to von S.-K. being a "long standing" holder of the Oak Leaves to the Knights Cross at the time of the battle, when he didn't win thius award until almost the end of it (The references are actually to his Knights Cross, which he won just before the relief of the Demyansk Pocket.).
This aroused some suspiscions as to the works accuracy, but, of course anyone can make a mistake.

GRRR! Checking other sources (I got those dates from ABR.), I find the the Ritterkreuzträger site lists them as 15/8/40 (Though the 12th only played a minor role in France.) and 31/12/41 respectively. Who's right?

Then, whilst cross checking with John Erickson's "Road to Berlin" for his BDO activities, whose name do I find as a member of the NKD? Oberstleutnant Heinrich von Einseidel!!

Are my doubts as to this books objectivity and accuracy justified?

Regards from the Park,

Rich

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”