Book review : What If Hitler Won The War?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
GFM2000

Book review : What If Hitler Won The War?

Post by GFM2000 » 03 Apr 2002, 10:01

I'm thinking about getting the book "What If Hitler Won The War? (Where Would We Be Today?), by Philip N. Moore, but it got pretty bad reviews on Amazon.com. Has anyone read it? Any comments to make?

Thanks!

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 03 Apr 2002, 11:34

Generally books that delve too heavily into "What ifs" of history aren't that good. I feel it's up to historians to present the what happened, and the readers to dream about the what ifs :)

GFM2000

Post by GFM2000 » 07 Apr 2002, 16:35

Hi Gwynn,

I agree that historians should preserve that "what happened" rather than the "what ifs", but I have read several "what if" scenarios in the past on the potential (what else??) for Hitler to win the war on Continental Europe. Those scenarios, obviously, did not occur, but I felt it provided a lot of food for thought on how close Hitler truly came to dominating Europe.

Many of those books have sought to ask the question on whether Hitler could win the war through different strategic application on the battlefield, and I am keen to follow up by reading on topics including the possibility of Hitler winning the war through political intervention (assassination of Churchill? Bringing Turkey into the Axis powers?). After reading Fatherland , which clevely depicted a Nazi Germany in the 1960s (?), I would like to read a little more on the political system that may exist if Hitler wins the war.

Once again, merely food for thought! :wink:

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”