Review: Night Never Ending

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Forum rules
You can support AHF when buying books etc from Amazon, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de by using these links.
It costs you nothing extra but it helps keep the forum up and running.
sniper1shot

Review: Night Never Ending

Post by sniper1shot » 21 Mar 2006 19:33

Title: Night Never Ending
Authour: E.A. Komorowski w/Joseph L. Gilmore
Publisher: Avon Books (The Henry Regnery Company)
ISBN: 0-380-00355-4
Stars: 4.5
(out of 5)

Here is another book about Poland and the infamous Katyn murders. It is a true story of the one (1) survivor of this ordeal.
The story begins with the authour on his way to surrender to the Russians after their invasion of Poland. The chapters are well laid out from his capture to his transport to a prison near Smolensk. They carry on with his interogations at the hands of the NKVD with both physical but mostly mental. The chapters go into the actual murders, his "escape" and his eventual return to Poland and then his eventual flight to England.
After coming out of a mental coma in 1948 he is eventually given work with a Polish "military" unit in England. The Polish intelligence agency and the Communists both are interested in the authour and his role in Katyn.
The authour makes his way to the US where he is to this day.

The only problems I had with this story are:
-Instead of EVER telling the Polish authorities anything they could use he decides to go public with this book.
-He is in 3x confrontations with armed people (1 in England,2 in US) and this in the mid '50's. He does admit that he is paranoid and awakes at every noise etc. How they find him in the US under an assumed name...
-He does give himself an out, as his mental coma leaves gaps but he does have access to the Katyn records and can let his mind fill in the gaps.

I did read the book in one sitting as the story is that well written, and I did/still do believe it.......(though there are questions)

A good (true) story for both the amature or advanced history reader.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”