Dienstglas disassembly

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
luminor

Dienstglas disassembly

Post by luminor » 04 Aug 2006 16:48

Hi everybody,
I'd like to clean the lens of a 6x30 that I've just bought. Anybody can tell me the right steps to disassemble it (simply unscrew frontal and back screws)? I'm not sure about this operation and would like not to damage it!!! Best regards and thanks everybody for your help.
L.

Xavier
Financial supporter

Post by Xavier » 04 Aug 2006 21:03

do not mess with them, if you are going to clean them for future use, you better buy a pair of cheap binos, the wartime dienstglas are , of course, very sharp, but better left alone, the bakelite is very delicate, and I would not risk damaging them just to clean them. also, the cement used to glue the prism inside becomes very fragile.

if you insist on cleaning them please check http://www.deutscheoptik.com..price for a cleaning, without collimation will run you around 175 usd.

if you want to know a little more about the clasicc german dienstglas (service glass) check here:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... dienstglas

best regards
Xavier
Instandsetzungtruppfuhrer

Chop Chop

Post by Chop Chop » 05 Aug 2006 13:27

If you have a later war pair of 6x30 (ie. Tan bino's) then dis-assembly and cleaning is simple.

Unscrew eyecups.
Unscrew locking rings and remove small lenses.
Screw down the oculars to the lowest point and remove the 3 small screws around the edge and remove ocular adjusters. (you will need to pull gently and wiggle them).
Unscrew the inner body of the adjusters all the way out and remove.
Unscrew the outer main body of the oculars and remove.
Unscrew the 3 small cover screws and remove the cover.
Unscrew one small screw holding the prism hold-down strap and remove.
Remove the prism by lifting VERTICALLY. Do not tilt or pry the prism out as it will chip.

Unscrew the decorative cover from the objective lense end.
Unscrew the WHOLE main body of the lense seat and remove. (do not try and unscrew the locking ring holding in the lense, as the colimation is adjusted by this cam shaped ring).
Unscrew the 3 screws and remove the cover.
Unscrew one small screw holding the prism hold-down strap and remove.
Remove the prism by lifting VERTICALLY. Do not tilt or pry the prism out as it will chip.

Clean and put back together.

Note:
Prisms will only go in one way as they have slots on the side to guide them. They must be placed in vertically and NEVER forced into position.
If colimation is out (ie. double image) then you can adjust colimation by the cam shaped adjusters in the objective lens end. This is simply a matter of loosening the locking ring holding in the objective lens and turning it while looking through the binoculars. When the image through the binoculars becomes one image, tighten the locking ring.
When replacing the adjusters on the ocular end, the adjusters must be screwed all the way down before the knurled cover can be replaced.

Have fun!

Brett

Xavier
Financial supporter

Re: Dienstglas disassembly

Post by Xavier » 23 Jan 2018 04:58

hallo Bret, long time!
now I need to collimate a late war 7x50 BMK set, is the procedure the same?
any special instructions..?
thanks in advance

Return to “Other Equipment”