Naval Combat!

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Robert Hurst

Naval Combat!

Post by Robert Hurst » 07 Jan 2003, 16:45

Hi

I would be most grateful if anyone out there can help me with this picture.

The caption that goes with this pic which was taken from ' A Photo History of Tanks In Two World Wars', by George Forty goes like this; If the original caption to this photograph can be believed, the sign on the turret represents an enemy destroyer, sunk near Boulogne in 1940.

What I would like to know is whether this tank crew actually managed to destroy this enemy vessel, and if so, how did they do it, and if possible the name of the ship.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Bob
Attachments
Naval Combat.jpg
Naval Combat.jpg (55.57 KiB) Viewed 812 times

Csaba Becze

Post by Csaba Becze » 07 Jan 2003, 17:24

If I know correctly, it was a fierce firefight among the British and French destroyers and German tanks and artillery.
The tanks didn't sunk any destroyers (their small calibre guns had not enough effective).
The Luftwaffe sunk some ships here, and perhaps the artillery, but I can't remember the exact details. I'll seek the book about this ASAP.

Perhaps it was one another ship (not destroyer - for example a small French torpedo-boat)?

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 07 Jan 2003, 22:54

Hallo!

Some Panzer incidents:

The British destroyer "Hms Verity" was damaged and the British merchant "M/S Sequacity" (815 tonnes) was sunk....

The French steamer "Granville" (511 tonnes) was sunk and the British passenger ship "Monas Isle" was damaged.

EE

Jack Nisley

Naval Combat

Post by Jack Nisley » 08 Jan 2003, 15:56

Do you know the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story? A fairy tale begins with "once upon a time", while a sea story starts with "no s**t, guys, this is the way it was!" This is a sea story. The French destroyers L'Adroit and Chacal were sunk off Boulogne on 21.5.40 and 25.5.40 by the Luftwaffe, not tanks. There is a picture supposedly of L'Adroit at http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/40-05.htm, but I think the picture (#8 opposite 29.5.40) is actually the destroyer Mistral. As one of the other post said, British and French destroyers did support the defense of Boulogne and evacuated troops. Some propaganda hack probably inflated shooting at a destroyer or other ship/boat into sinking a destroyer. I believe the sign on the turret was suppose to be some humorous comment on reaching the Channel or going on a sea trip to England. The German torpedoboat TA.11 (ex French L'Iphigenie) was sunk by Italian tanks in Piombino, Italy after an engine failure during the fighting between the Ialians and Germans following the Italian Armistice. I believe this was discussed in another post in this forum, concerning fighting in Bastia, Corsica, betwen the German and Italian Navies.

Jack Nisley

Naval Combat

Post by Jack Nisley » 24 Jan 2003, 15:53

Correction, French destroyer in picture is not Mistral.

Return to “Other Equipment”