what is this soldier carrying??

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
kobold

what is this soldier carrying??

Post by kobold » 13 Jan 2003, 09:03

I was just watching some of the blood and steel documentary and at the beginning is a soldier running across the screen with what i first took to be a long handles shovel, but i dot think thats what it is-maybe something to pull barb wire down ?

does anyone have an idea?

http://www.walkerboyz.pwp.blueyonder.co ... index.html

its the sequence of pics beginning with 003 onwards.

thanks in advance.

dave

JTV

Re: what is this soldier carrying??

Post by JTV » 13 Jan 2003, 10:06

kobold wrote:I was just watching some of the blood and steel documentary and at the beginning is a soldier running across the screen with what i first took to be a long handles shovel, but i dot think thats what it is-maybe something to pull barb wire down ?

does anyone have an idea?
dave
I would guess it to be Bangalore torpedo of some type. Bangalore was/is basically metal pipes filled with explosives, which can be attached one after another. Idea is to clear path to barbwire obstacles and/or minefield by is to attaching the pipes to another, pushing the attached pipes through barbwire obstacles and/or minefield and after that detonating them. The explosion opens narrow path through barbwire and/or minefield.

Bangalore torpedo was officially invented at 1912 (I remember reading that the basic concept is even older then that). During WW2 it was already in wide use and is still used by most countries nowadays.

Bit more info:
http://www.sproe.com/b-bangalore.htm

Here is a pic of Finnish engineers with Bangalore torpedo:
Attachments
Bangalore.jpg
Bangalore.jpg (46.01 KiB) Viewed 1618 times

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 13 Jan 2003, 11:23

Isn't it just an explosive attached to a wooden stick to be used in a similar way as the bangalore torpedo. I've read about it but can't really remember.

Best regards/ Daniel

Mark V

Post by Mark V » 13 Jan 2003, 12:06

charlie don't surf wrote:Isn't it just an explosive attached to a wooden stick to be used in a similar way as the bangalore torpedo. I've read about it but can't really remember.

Best regards/ Daniel
Charlie,

It is propably what you said. A "pole-charge" was old invention, and quite widely used against enemy strongholds. It was made primary by engineers in the field using standard demolition charges.

US version:

>>>The Pole Charge is a 12-lb pack charge (TNT) which consists of 24 x ½ lb. TNT blocks, fixed to the end of a 18-foot long wooden pole . Its design is made in such a way as to easily shove it into pillbox embrasures, from a more or less safe distance.

kobold

Post by kobold » 13 Jan 2003, 15:11

i never thought of the old bangalor-or similar - thanks chaps.

dave

spacedrummer

Post by spacedrummer » 13 Jan 2003, 21:37

They use a bangalore torpedo in the opening battle scene of Saving Private Ryan, about 10 minutes into the movie.

mngray

SCREEN GRABS

Post by mngray » 14 Jan 2003, 00:23

Dave,

On a completely seperate issue, can you tell me how you got the screen grabs off the DVD - I cannot seem to be able to do it off my computer!

Thanks

MNG

kobold

Re: SCREEN GRABS

Post by kobold » 14 Jan 2003, 03:11

mngray wrote:Dave,

On a completely seperate issue, can you tell me how you got the screen grabs off the DVD - I cannot seem to be able to do it off my computer!

Thanks

MNG

I played it in the program Power DVD which came with my dvd drive-It has a screen capture button:)

I stepped forward one frame at a time for the sequence with the guy with the bangalor thingy, and grabbed each frame-it saves as windows BMP format but i converted to jpg.

the cyberlink site (who produce power dvd):

http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/prod ... ?ProdId=28

has a trial version which plays i think 30 mins at a time and lasts for 30 days or so.

(and you dont need a dvd drive to use it hehe).

Dave

Return to “Other Equipment”