East and West German Armies

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Mike R

Post by Mike R » 14 Feb 2003 23:59

Did East/West Germany use much equipment left over from the WW2 German army? Did they retain any of the various tank models or aircraft designs, or firearms such as the StGw 44? If not, what equipment did they use?

Regards,
-Mike

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 15 Feb 2003 00:23

The only weapon that actually went the longest in service is the MG-42 and still is, but mainly the west german army tended to use more war period weapons such as K98s, even the M35 or M42 helmets, and this was of course during the early years until its armament became standard as the rest of western countries which were mainly US equipment. While in the east german army, the Soviets basically rearmed them with their weapons from the beginning, but East Germany tended to use german wartime tanks more than the West, mainly Pz IV and Panthers until they got equipped with Soviet tanks. While wartime planes were used in W. Germany mainly trainers such as the Me-108 Taifun or the Transport Ju 52 until they too got replaced later.

Antonio Pena

Post by Antonio Pena » 15 Feb 2003 20:00

The East German workers Militia used the Stg-44 when was created, alongside the Soviet Union hand weapons, this is the only weapon that I know was used after the war in the East side, exception made of the Czecs that used many weapons made or projected in the course of the WW2 by the germans.

Best regards

Antonio

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 15 Feb 2003 22:55

The czechs did use many weapons designs from Germany, especially from airplane designs such as the Avia 199 which was a version of a Me 109 transformed into a trainer, but had a czech engine. Also the czech version of the Me 262.

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 16 Feb 2003 05:42

All very interesting....so there were no squadrons of Me 262's patrolling the skies at the very beginning of the cold war? What happened to most of the equipment, was it just used as scrap?

Regards,
-Mike

Return to “Other Equipment”