Pontoon Bridges and assault boats

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
carius

Re: Pontoon Bridges and assault boats

Post by carius » 04 Jan 2011 14:29

Hi!Here some photos from audiovis.nac.gov.pl

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

carius

Post by carius » 04 Jan 2011 14:31

More

George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

carius

Post by carius » 04 Jan 2011 14:32

More

George

carius

Post by carius » 04 Jan 2011 14:33

More

George

carius

Post by carius » 04 Jan 2011 14:42

More

George

carius

Post by carius » 04 Jan 2011 14:44

More

George

Clive Mortimore

Post by Clive Mortimore » 04 Jan 2011 15:29

StuBoFan wrote:Aha! pre-war camo. Good call. I didn't think of that, but it would explain a lot. Thanks, Clive.

You are right, so many of the photos look early. And in many, the men are wearing those white fatigues. I don't know if that was common for bridging columns in the field, or if it means a lot of them are shots of training exercises.

As for late war, no you wouldn't expect so many assaults, but surely they would be using sturmboote and pontoons for ferrying, even in retreat....but it is true there don't seem to be a lot of pictures...

One thing I noticed browsing through the pictures in this thread again is that maybe there are a few pontoons that might plausibly have some dunkelgelb on them (including the far right pontoon in the fifth most recent picture above). The picture nine pictures above, with the white "fender" markings on the pontoons is interesting too.

Another thing, that I hadn't noticed before, was apparant splinter on some rubber boats. Coloured rubber?

btw happy new year everyone
Hi StuBoFan

Could the white markings be an aid for night time operations? Even if it was a help to see if the pontoons were maintaining their position.

As for the rubber boats, they were made from a canvas and rubber composite material. The camouflage could have been applied with material dyes.
Clive

StuBoFan

Post by StuBoFan » 04 Jan 2011 17:24

some great pictures there. Some of those rubber boats definitely look black...others more grey (or weathered black)

Clive, with the white fender markings I suspect they are indeed a night-time/low-light aid, but not while deployed in the water. As deployed, I doubt anyone driving on the deck would even see those markings, but if you flip the pontoons over, the markings look just like the white fender markings so commonly shown on vehicles during Barbarossa. I suspect the white "fender markings" really come into play when the pontoons are on their trailers and the bridging column is driving at night.

I suspect the same is true of any camo we see on those pontoons; the role of camo was probably more about when the pontoons were being moved around on land than when they were deployed in the water.....

Clive Mortimore

Post by Clive Mortimore » 04 Jan 2011 18:53

Hi StuBoFan

I agree with your idea's regarding the use of the white markings and the camouflage while the pontoons were in transit.

What I was thinking regarding the white markings when the pontoons are deployed is that the poineers who crewed the pontoons would be able to see if their boat or another one was moving out of position, for example their mooring had broken thus the bridge could become unsafe or even part. I wasn't thinking about the drivers crossing the bridge :roll: :)
Clive

Clive Mortimore

Post by Clive Mortimore » 05 Jan 2011 10:12

Hi George

What a great selection of photos.

Number 6....Are these navy boats?
Number 8....Looks like a pile driver.
Number 9...Good view of the pontoons used by the mountain troops. Anyone else noticed that they will have to paddle very fast for the chap who is expecting to go water skiing. :D
Clive

carius

Post by carius » 06 Jan 2011 07:26

From eBay.de

George

carius

Post by carius » 07 Jan 2011 09:36

From eBay.de

George

carius

Post by carius » 10 Jan 2011 05:50

Nice!

George

Sturm78

Post by Sturm78 » 11 Jan 2011 11:06

Hi all,

Another image from Ebay:

Sturm78

Sturm78

Post by Sturm78 » 11 Jan 2011 12:08

...and two others:

Image 2: mountain troops pontoons ??

Images from Ebay
Sturm78

Return to “Other Equipment”