Infantryman Equiptment

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Spartan24

Infantryman Equiptment

Post by Spartan24 » 24 Feb 2003 07:59

What did the average German Heer soldier have on him as far as equiptment? What did they carry on their belt and straps? Thanks in advance!

karltrowitz

Post by karltrowitz » 24 Feb 2003 14:02

From memory it includes:
ammunition pouches,breadbag,waterbottle,messkit,bayonet and entrenching tool.He could also be carrying his combat"A" frame attached to his "Y" straps with his zeltbahn poncho/tent quarter and various other items.For example he could be carrying spare tins of MG ammunition etc.

Stuart S

Post by Stuart S » 24 Feb 2003 16:21

Heer and Waffen SS soldiers carried a great deal of kit besides that which dangled from their belt and Y-straps. Don't forget the ever-present gas mask canister. Many also carried the gas cape strapped to it. Some would have had a field torch, which I think clipped to the breast pocket. As well as a mess tin, most would also have had a butter dish, cutlery (maybe a fork-spoon combi) and an Esbit cooker - a small solid fuel stove. I think I'm right in saying that in addition to the zeltbahn everyone had to carry some poles and pegs for it.

hohenstaufeninthehood

Post by hohenstaufeninthehood » 24 Feb 2003 17:37

combat wear for an SS(and heer) soldier in the field- belt, ammo pouches, ystraps, canteenn, breadbag, bayonet, gas mask can with or without a gas mask, maybye a shovel tucked in belt, and sometimes a mess tin and some times a zeltbahn. never seen pics of a guy with tent pegs and poles before, they rarley even set up the zeltbahn, they would dig a one foot deep whole, lay a zelt down, you and your buddy lay on top of the zelt and throw the other one on top. ( zelt info from an SS tank commander vet)

hohenstaufeninthehood

Post by hohenstaufeninthehood » 24 Feb 2003 21:39

heres a picture of equipment being worn, the guy with the greatcoat with his back facing is myself, and the other one is a buddy of mine. were at the battle of the bulge reenacment in fort indiantown gap in PA in 2003. were with the 9th ss hohenstaufen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other Equipment”