Feldfernsprecher 33 help

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
wehrmacht98k

Feldfernsprecher 33 help

Post by wehrmacht98k » 18 Feb 2011, 05:55

hey guys i need help hooking up 2 Feldfernsprecher 33 / Field Telephone 33 i have already viewed http://www.fallschirmjager.net/Equipmen ... cher33.pdf but i still need help on how to hook up a pair of these via wire such as what type of wire, where to connect (LB or LA/E.....need help on what that means also), one wire or a pair, what size wire, and pretty much everything..... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

diargram
ww2germanrdiodia.JPG
DIAGRAM
ww2germanrdiodia.JPG (30.16 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
YOUTH GROSSDEUTSCHLAND AIRSOFT AND LIVING HISTORY UNIT
gdrecon.webs.com

wehrmacht98k

Re: Feldfernsprecher 33 help

Post by wehrmacht98k » 19 Feb 2011, 03:40

ANYONE???? :(
gdrecon.webs.com

CTAPOCTA

Post by CTAPOCTA » 19 Feb 2011, 04:51

La = Leitung A (Line A), Lb(E) = Leitung B Erde (Line B Ground). You can use any pair of wire you can find handy and it doesn`t matter in which order - La can go into Lb on the other phone. You can also use one wire to connect La to La but then you need another short piece of wire to connect Lb/E to an Erdspiess (Ground Stick) that goes into ground on both phones. The range in that cituation usually could not exceed 5 km or more depend on wire gage. That method was usually prohibited on a front line to prevent enemy intercepting signal.

wehrmacht98k

Post by wehrmacht98k » 19 Feb 2011, 15:23

CTAPOCTA wrote:La = Leitung A (Line A), Lb(E) = Leitung B Erde (Line B Ground). You can use any pair of wire you can find handy and it doesn`t matter in which order - La can go into Lb on the other phone. You can also use one wire to connect La to La but then you need another short piece of wire to connect Lb/E to an Erdspiess (Ground Stick) that goes into ground on both phones. The range in that cituation usually could not exceed 5 km or more depend on wire gage. That method was usually prohibited on a front line to prevent enemy intercepting signal.
THANK YOU!!! but what type of wire, copper? also, what is the preffered wiring?
gdrecon.webs.com

wehrmacht98k

Post by wehrmacht98k » 26 Mar 2011, 03:07

any other help guys????
gdrecon.webs.com

M19 MADMAL
Location: M19 Mortar Bunker. STRONGPOINT CORBIERE. Jersey. Channel Islands

Post by M19 MADMAL » 26 Mar 2011, 09:29

Hi,

I have several Field Telephones linked up at the bunkers I restore and just use regular 2 core speaker wire cable (same as used to connect speakers to a TV or sound system etc). Just connect 1 wire to La/E and one to Lb and the same to the other phone (does not matter which cable goes into which terminal). Two of my phones are linked by a cable about 80m long and the clarity is crystal clear 8-)

You will also need to put a battery into each phone to allow your speech to be 'transmitted'. I use the large flat ones (4.5 volt) which are the same as those used in the German field torches. To connect the battery I use 2 bits of the speaker wire taped to the battery terminals and the other ends of the wire screwed into the terminals in the phone's battery compartment.

If your linked phones are 'workers' they will then work :milsmile:

You can test the bells of the phone by placing a key or nail etc over La/E & Lb at the same time (to short or connect them) while pressing down the generator test button. At the same time turn the handle on the side of the phone and it will make the phone ring and thus shows that the generator/dynamo works. Make sure you short the La/E & Lb correctly or you will get a nasty electric shock 8O

To opperate the phone simply turn the handle on the side several times to make the other phone ring and hold down the 'engaged' button on the handset when you speak into it :milwink:

Always rest the handset on top of the phone when not in use as the 'engaged' button on it will keep the system 'live' and drain the battery, this button should also produce a morse code 'beep' when pressed on one end and was used as such.

Hope this is of help :milsmile:

Regards,
Malcolm :milwink:
"I had expected only ruins", "It's as if I had only left the bunker yesterday!"
Herr Engelbert Hoppe. M19 bunker Commander 1944/45 when he first returned in 2006.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StrongpointCorbiereJersey/

wehrmacht98k

Post by wehrmacht98k » 26 Mar 2011, 13:40

M19 MADMAL wrote:Hi,
Two of my phones are linked by a cable about 80m long and the clarity is crystal clear 8-)
but what is the max a field phone such as the FF33`s wire can reach without trouble...i`ve heard around 5km (which sounds incorrect)
gdrecon.webs.com

wehrmacht98k

Post by wehrmacht98k » 30 Mar 2011, 01:34

ANYONE ELSE???
gdrecon.webs.com

SpookyDad

Post by SpookyDad » 07 May 2011, 05:56

5km is doable but not really practical as anything that far away would likely use the regular telephone trunk system or a radio. Any splices in the cable introduce corrosion and will weaken the signal. The FF33 is a field telephone and was generally used over shorter distances. A 10 line switchboard was used to hook up the FF33's to each other. The 10 line switchboard can be patched into the regular trunk system.

The wire can be anything, copper, steel, aluminum, solid or stranded. Two wires are required to complete the circuit so a twisted pair cable is used but it can be a single wire if both phones have a grounding stake. Then the earth becomes the return wire.

The telephones only require 1.5v to work.

The FF33 functions more like a walkie-talkie than a modern telephone. You can talk OR listen, not both. That is why there is a switch on the handset. It is a "press to talk" switch. The only time the telephone is consuming battery power is when the switch is pressed. The power for the ringing is provided by the generator attached to the crank handle.

Neil
II Kp. / Nachrichten Abt. 716 (reenacted)
716heer.org
1938 Kfz 72 Radiotruck (on a 1944 CCKW chassis)

wehrmacht98k

Post by wehrmacht98k » 07 May 2011, 21:28

SpookyDad wrote:5km is doable but not really practical as anything that far away would likely use the regular telephone trunk system or a radio. Any splices in the cable introduce corrosion and will weaken the signal. The FF33 is a field telephone and was generally used over shorter distances. A 10 line switchboard was used to hook up the FF33's to each other. The 10 line switchboard can be patched into the regular trunk system.

The wire can be anything, copper, steel, aluminum, solid or stranded. Two wires are required to complete the circuit so a twisted pair cable is used but it can be a single wire if both phones have a grounding stake. Then the earth becomes the return wire.

The telephones only require 1.5v to work.

The FF33 functions more like a walkie-talkie than a modern telephone. You can talk OR listen, not both. That is why there is a switch on the handset. It is a "press to talk" switch. The only time the telephone is consuming battery power is when the switch is pressed. The power for the ringing is provided by the generator attached to the crank handle.
thank you!!!
but I still don`t really know how to ground it......
thanks
-Matt
Neil
gdrecon.webs.com

Rotwang M

Post by Rotwang M » 04 Mar 2022, 02:05

Check out my book on WW2 German Field Telephone Equipment...

https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/rotwan ... pageSize=4

Return to “Other Equipment”