A POW was the first astronaut aboard a V2/A2

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
witcher

A POW was the first astronaut aboard a V2/A2

Post by witcher » 28 Oct 2005, 16:45

[Split from "Little known facts..."]

Heard many years ago from a source in Huntsville that a POW was the first astronaut...aboard a V2/A2.

It was a one way trip in exchange for safety of family.

Any truth to this? Were any animals ever launched? Was the derrived data used on any post war space programs?

Helmut0815

Re: V2 passenger

Post by Helmut0815 » 25 Jan 2013, 23:38

witcher wrote:Heard many years ago from a source in Huntsville that a POW was the first astronaut...aboard a V2/A2.

It was a one way trip in exchange for safety of family.

Any truth to this?
Sounds like pure fantasy to me.
witcher wrote:Were any animals ever launched?
In 1948 the americans sent four monkeys into space using modified V2 rockets. All monkeys died in the experiment.

--> http://www.spacechronology.com/1940s.html#1948

The first ever manned manned vertical take-off rocket flight occured on 1 March 1945. Luftwaffe test pilot Lothar Sieber took off in a Bachem Ba 349 Natter but his rocket crashed and Sieber got killed.

regards

Helmut

stellung

Re: A POW was the first astronaut aboard a V2/A2

Post by stellung » 26 Mar 2013, 05:34

Information connects the German A-9/A-10 combination with a test pilot. A modified V2 was also built. A man with no official connection to anything involving space flight, Joachim Kuettner became the head of the Mercury Redstone project by request of Wernher von Braun in 1958. Mr. Kuettner was involved in the design of the first "American" space capsule.

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 26 Mar 2013, 21:38

Information connects the German A-9/A-10 combination with a test pilot.
:roll: You should know by now how it works around here...
If a poster stops asking questions and begins to express a point of view, he then becomes an advocate for that viewpoint. When a person becomes an advocate, he has the burden of providing evidence for his point of view. If he has no evidence, or doesn't provide it when asked, it is reasonable for the reader to conclude that his opinion or viewpoint is uninformed and may fairly be discounted or rejected.

Undocumented claims undercut the research purposes of this section of the forum. Consequently, it is required that proof be posted along with a claim. The main reason is that proof, evidence, facts, etc. improve the quality of discussions and information. A second reason is that inflammatory, groundless posts and threads attack, and do not promote, the scholarly purpose of this section of the forum. For more on this subject, see the announcement at viewtopic.php?p=990676#990676

This requirement applies to each specific claim. In the past, some posters have attempted to evade the proof requirement by resort to the following tactics, none of which are acceptable here:

A general reference to a website, or a book without page references; citations or links to racist websites; generalized citations to book reviews; and citations to unsourced articles.

Noncomplying posts are subject to deletion after warning.
After you...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

phylo_roadking

Post by phylo_roadking » 28 Mar 2013, 18:03

Any time soon'll do...
Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs....
Lord, please keep Kevin Bacon alive...

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 28 Mar 2013, 18:05

phylo_roadking wrote:Any time soon'll do...
He has not been logged in here since he posted the above message so he has probably not even read your message yet.

/Marcus

witcher

Post by witcher » 01 Oct 2017, 06:07

Gentlemen, Sorry I have just seen this. The question was a serious one and not fantasy. It was spurred by my interest in 2005-8 in the art of former Peenemünde draftsmen that went on to work for NASA in Huntsville , Al.

Seeing a Wasserfall in Aberdeen and also reading on Nader design made it just somewhat possible. The POW aspect is only from a old search. Yes that is hard to believe.

So here is a token scan 'A9 influenced' by Wiley Lee to make things better. Also one of me in front of a well maintained 'gate guard' in Aberdeen.

Best Wishes

-
v9.jpg
Willy-Lee-takeme2moon.jpg
Bruce-in-Aberdeen.jpg

witcher

Post by witcher » 01 Nov 2017, 19:34

I have found the artwork previously mentioned. Attached here
Attachments
A9.jpg

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 02 Nov 2017, 00:45

There's so many things wrong with this. I doubt there is a single piece of viable evidence to back any of the OP's assertions up.

What was the name of the "astronaut?"
Where did the launch take place from?
What date did it occur on?
How was the V-2 modified to take this person? Is there any physical evidence of the craft in existence?
What was the source at Huntsville's name and job there?

There doesn't appear to be anything to back the claim up whatsoever.

witcher

Post by witcher » 02 Nov 2017, 04:24

Of course you are correct, if records ever existed they have been lost forever. However it would be inaccurate to say alternative (human) payloads were never considered. The first time I read the description of A4 ie specifications , it seemed silly to go to such extreme cost and drain during wartime to deliver a 1 ton explosive warhead.
Can you agree a manned verision was always the real ‘mission’ ?

I have no hard proof of a planned human piloted rocket.
Its all speculation on my part.

-

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 02 Nov 2017, 08:31

witcher wrote:Of course you are correct, if records ever existed they have been lost forever. However it would be inaccurate to say alternative (human) payloads were never considered. The first time I read the description of A4 ie specifications , it seemed silly to go to such extreme cost and drain during wartime to deliver a 1 ton explosive warhead.
Can you agree a manned verision was always the real ‘mission’ ?

I have no hard proof of a planned human piloted rocket.
Its all speculation on my part.

-
But, it would be accurate to say it never happened, and there is no proof of such a flight beyond anecdote and rumor which makes this the stuff of science fiction and conspiracy theories not history. I don't think a manned mission was ever the intent beyond some fantasy in someone's mind.

witcher

Post by witcher » 02 Nov 2017, 20:05

-[/quote]

But, it would be accurate to say it never happened, and there is no proof of such a flight beyond anecdote and rumor which makes this the stuff of science fiction and conspiracy theories not history. I don't think a manned mission was ever the intent beyond some fantasy in someone's mind.[/quote]

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducat ... berth.html

Sir, Prior to the take-over of the Berlin club, the goal was always manned space travel.

This cannot be disputed. It is a historic fact, ie Oberth and Tsiolkovsky.

-

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 03 Nov 2017, 07:36

witcher wrote:
Sir, Prior to the take-over of the Berlin club, the goal was always manned space travel.

This cannot be disputed. It is a historic fact, ie Oberth and Tsiolkovsky.

-
That's not the question on the table. The issue here is providing proof of a manned V-2 flight and the construction of a V-2 capable of carrying a pilot / astronaut. Just because the goal of those involved was manned spaceflight doesn't validate that a V-2 with a cockpit or capsule was built. In fact, the desgin of the V-2 was such that it would have been very difficult to provide a detachable payload or manned capsule on the rocket.

witcher

Post by witcher » 07 Nov 2017, 04:47

I’m still looking at this, based on my own early rocketry behavior. Like so many I started launching model rockets at a young age eventually working up to Flight Systems F100 motors. (35lb thrust)
Living specimans were frequenly “sent up” just to see ‘what happens’.

So I’m on the trail of an interview that Aurthor C. Clarke had with someone form the Peenemünde team. Difficult to locate but they were already sending up live specimans (no details yet) . The discussions had already moved to manned launch by 1942. The A2 was not ready so they must have been using one or more of the sounding rockets.

I may have to go to Huntsville and research there.

regards

PF

Post by PF » 30 Nov 2017, 23:19

In the post world war II Comedy farce Hogan heros The Pows send a German scientist to London in a V rocket!

Seriously
There was a plan in regarding V2 man rockets But.....Megaroc project
http://www.bis-space.com/what-we-do/projects/megaroc
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015082 ... n-in-space

Return to “Other Equipment”