Please help ID German field crate!

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
spets

Please help ID German field crate!

Post by spets » 14 Jun 2017, 21:43

Hello All,

I am trying to obtain some more information on a WWII German field crate/box. See attached photo. This crate was picked up by my wife's grandfather right after the battle that took place near the village of Lioliai which is in Lithuania. The box is about 3"x1"x1" in size and is marked:

WERKST KP. 158
II.Zug

I suspect that "158" refers to the 158th Wehrmacht infantry division, which I believe saw action on the Eastern Front. Any info about the markings, type of equipment the box could have been used for, as well as any more info on the 158th infantry division (if the box indeed came from there) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_3376123.jpg
IMG_3376123.jpg (110.47 KiB) Viewed 655 times

GregSingh

Re: Please help ID German field crate!

Post by GregSingh » 15 Jun 2017, 01:27

:welcome:

There was no such unit as 158th Wehrmacht infantry division. If anything it was 58.ID.

Labelling on the box is Werkstattkompanie 158, II Zug. It was 2nd platoon of 158th maintenance/workshop company.
Your photo does not show the whole box, so it's difficult to say what it is. Most likely storage box for tools, etc. everything you need in a mobile workshop...

Return to “Other Equipment”