Fallschirmjäger equipment during Unternehmen Merkur: painted steel Koppelschloss and Brotbeutel metal fittings possible?

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Blue Jay

Fallschirmjäger equipment during Unternehmen Merkur: painted steel Koppelschloss and Brotbeutel metal fittings possible?

Post by Blue Jay » 16 Jul 2017, 02:06

Hello,

It seems that somewhere in mid-1940 the Germans no longer used aluminium to produce belt buckles (Koppelschlosse) and metal fittngs such as D-rings on bread bags etc. ...

My question is : were the newer equipment items avaikable and issued to the Fallschirmjäger by the time of Unternehmen Merkur, the operations on Kreta ? In other words, were there any Fallschirmjäger on Kreta who carried a bread bag with steel D-rings painted light grey, and a steel belt buckle painted Luftwaffe style blue-grey ?

May seem a bit of a silly question, I ask this form a military modeller's point of view, I want to be correct when I paint my figures ... :|

EDIT : not sure if this topic is in the wright forum section ... admin please feel free to move :wink:

Poot

Re: Fallschirmjäger equipment during Unternehmen Merkur: painted steel Koppelschloss and Brotbeutel metal fittings possi

Post by Poot » 16 Jul 2017, 03:02

This is quite a bit less than an authoritative answer, but have you tried looking at pictures on the Bundesarchiv Foto section? Do a search with 'Kreta' in the subject field and '1941' in the year field, and see what comes up.
Best,
Pat
He who lives by the sword, should train with it frequently.

Return to “Other Equipment”